Debra's Reviews > Give Me Your Hand

Give Me Your Hand by Megan Abbott

liked it
bookshelves: netgalley

How well do you know your friends? What are the ties that bind? What can pull two friends apart?

Kit Owens and Diane Fleming met when they are teenagers at camp. Then one day, Diane appears in Kit's chemistry class. Their friendship is sealed, and they soon become inseparable. Both girls become driven to do well not only in school but in life. Both are very intelligent, and both seem to have similar interests in science. Then one day, Diane shares a secret with Kit, a secret which changes their friendship forever. Kit shared a secret she had at camp, but it wasn't as big as Diane's secret. The teens drift apart and both go their separate ways.

As both were intelligent and had interests in the scientific field, they soon cross paths once again when they are both making names for themselves in their chosen fields. Diane is hired to work in the same lab as Kit and they learn that they are up for the same position working under a brilliant scientist whom they both idolize.

This both is told through "Now" and "Then" chapters filling in the gaps of their friendship. The reader finally learns the "secret" and the impact it has on the women's lives. At the same time the reader watches as those in the lab vie for the coveted position and things take a turn and yet again their lives are changed.

Part of this book takes place in a lab, but I did not feel that any of the scientific language or experiments got in the way of the story. It would be strange if the object of their study was not discussed as most of the characters were scientists. Yes, there is discussion about experiments being done on animals, so be warned! Some may not like these sections. For me this book was good not great. It was a fast read and well written but at the same time it failed to really "wow" me. I didn't really care for any of the characters, I didn't find anything to be too shocking or overly interesting. This is a book which I think had a lot of potential and it just fell a little flat for me. I still enjoyed it but was just missing that spark which would have made the book better for me personally.

Thank you to Little, Brown and Company and NetGalley who provided me with a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

See more of my reviews at www.openbookpost.com

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Give Me Your Hand.

January 19, 2018 – Shelved
January 19, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
February 23, 2018 – Started Reading
February 24, 2018 –
February 26, 2018 –
February 26, 2018 – Finished Reading
March 6, 2018 – Shelved as: netgalley

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)

Susanne  Strong Nice review Debra! I appreciate the honest review!

message 2: by Martie (new)

Martie Nees Record I’m am so tired of books asking “how well do you know...”. Thanks for posting. I know now to pass on this one.

Debra Susanne wrote: "Nice review Debra! I appreciate the honest review!"

Thanks Susanne! I know there are some who love this book, it just didn't work for me to give it a higher rating. Good not great.

Debra Martie wrote: "I’m am so tired of books asking “how well do you know...”. Thanks for posting. I know now to pass on this one."

It does get a little old and cliched doesn't it?

Holly  B Shame it wasn't any better, great review Debra!

Debra Holly wrote: "Shame it wasn't any better, great review Debra!"

Thanks Holly!

message 7: by Tammy (new)

Tammy Ah well, they can’t all be wonderful...but you review is

message 8: by Megan (new)

Megan Perfect honest review, Debra 😊☝️😊

Debra Tammy wrote: "Ah well, they can’t all be wonderful...but you review is"

Thank you Tammy!

Debra Megan wrote: "Perfect honest review, Debra 😊☝️😊"

Thank you Megan!

message 11: by Crumb (new) - added it

Crumb Great, honest review, Debra!

Debra Crumb wrote: "Great, honest review, Debra!"

Thank you Crumb!

Dorie  - Cats&Books :) Nice review, sounds like another mediocre book, I need a 5* badly, how about you?

Debra Dorie wrote: "Nice review, sounds like another mediocre book, I need a 5* badly, how about you?"

Dorie  - Cats&Books :) Debra wrote: "Dorie wrote: "Nice review, sounds like another mediocre book, I need a 5* badly, how about you?"

Thanks Dorie, It was mediocre. Thankfully, I read some great books since that one."

Care to pass along any 5 stars you've read?

Debra Dorie wrote: "Debra wrote: "Dorie wrote: "Nice review, sounds like another mediocre book, I need a 5* badly, how about you?"

..."

This Little Piggy by rob Ashman
After Nightfall by A.j. Banner
The Haunting of Maddy Clare - I'm currently reading and it is so good.
The Removes by Tatjana Soli