Jessie's Reviews > Web of Frost

Web of Frost by Lindsay  Smith

liked it

Katza is definitely thrust into a role she isn't prepared for (in many, many ways), while also dealing with grief. She's angry and feels like she lacks a support system, and she (understandably) turns to the people and actions that give her a sense of control.

I was sometimes frustrated with her wavering, but I was more frustrated with the portrayal of it. Sometimes it seemed like what we were shown she was thinking/feeling at a given time wasn't consistent with how she talked about it later, and not in an unreliable narrator kind of way. It's reasonable for her to be thinking and feeling lots of ways about what was going on (like being angry at and having compassion for the Russalkan people rebelling against Silov rule), but she seemed inconsistent, not just confused and conflicted and overwhelmed.

I like Fahed as a character. He does come on really strong, and it's perfectly reasonable that Katza would be suspicious of him making a power grab. He's an interesting contrast to Ravin. I would have liked to know more about Ravin, though. We get a backstory, but not much of him That's maybe part of the point, but it's a little unsatisfying.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Web of Frost.

January 19, 2018 – Shelved