Julie's Reviews > Persuasion

Persuasion by Jane Austen

bookshelves: classics, e-book, 2018
Read 2 times. Last read January 19, 2018 to February 3, 2018.

Persuasion by Jane Austen is a 2016 Enhanced Media publication. (Originally published in 1817)

A wonderfully pleasant classic by one of my favorite writers.

When I was invited to review a new book, the premise of which, is a modern -day retelling of Jane Austen’s Persuasion, I accepted immediately.

But, once I’d signed on, it occurred to me that I didn’t remember any of the details of Persuasion. Surely, since Jane Austen has written some of my very favorite books, and I consider her to be one of my top five favorite authors, I have read every one of her books, right? Maybe I just needed a refresher. But, for the life of me, I have no memory of ever having read this one.

So, despite my tight reading schedule, I just had to stop the assembly line and squeeze this one in.

While there are already plenty of reviews for this book, I just wanted to share my experience of it with you.

Up front, I must confess, this book, while listed as a favorite by many, is not mine, mainly because of the time it took to get to the meat of the story, and I felt the momentum dragged in some places.

However, I did appreciate the more serious tone, the way Anne managed to dodge traditional female roles, and for her time, she is written as a strong, mature, character, who didn’t mind pointing out the advantages men had in the way of education and the way they often thought of women as being ‘inconstant’. She wasn’t exactly ironical, but she makes her point. I loved that!

I also enjoyed the themes explored, concerning character traits, and the misjudgment, or maybe the PRE- judgment of those traits, while also touching on the disadvantages of remaining totally one- dimensional. This story also delves into the complexities of family, friendship, and of course love, and is well balanced and rounded.

The writing of course is quite different from what we are accustomed to, or I should say, what I'm accustomed to, and at times the wordiness was challenging, but I did appreciate the manners, and activities described, and the characterizations.

While this one isn’t quite as sharp as other Austen novels, in my opinion, and is a just a bit more pensive than usual, I still found myself looking forward to the time I could spend with Anne inside her pre-Victorian landscape.

4 stars

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Persuasion.

January 19, 2018 – Started Reading
January 19, 2018 – Shelved
January 19, 2018 – Shelved as: classics
January 19, 2018 – Shelved as: e-book
Started Reading
February 2, 2018 – Finished Reading
February 3, 2018 – Shelved as: 2018
February 3, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-49 of 49 (49 new)

Leila Julie this was my second best choice from Jane Austen's stories many years ago when I had to study her works, though not sure why. I just liked it. I hope you enjoy it too.

Paula Kalin Loved this book. Enjoy!

Julie Leila wrote: "Julie this was my second best choice from Jane Austen's stories many years ago when I had to study her works, though not sure why. I just liked it. I hope you enjoy it too."

Thank you, Leila!! I have never read this one, so I'm really looking forward to it!

❀⊱RoryReads⊰❀ My favorite book. Happy reading.

Konstantina P. One of my top 2 Austen works. Enjoy!

Julie ❀⊱Rory⊰❀ wrote: "My favorite book. Happy reading."

Thank you, Rory!!

Julie Thank you, Konstantina!!

Annie She is a favorite of mine as well!

Julie Annie wrote: "She is a favorite of mine as well!"

Her books are just ageless. I can read them over and over again!

message 10: by Diane (new)

Diane Wallace Nice review, Julie!

Julie Diane wrote: "Nice review, Julie!"

Thank you, Diane!!

message 12: by Paul (new)

Paul Falk Excellent review Julie.

Julie Paul wrote: "Excellent review Julie."

Thank you, Paul!!

message 14: by Antoinette (new) - added it

Antoinette Excellent review Julie. FYI, Heywood Hill bookstore in London has included this book in their Classic Love Story bundle for your beloved that can be purchased for Valentine’s (of course!) I haven’t read this Austen book yet, but hope to do so in the near future.

Julie Antoinette wrote: "Excellent review Julie. FYI, Heywood Hill bookstore in London has included this book in their Classic Love Story bundle for your beloved that can be purchased for Valentine’s (of course!) I haven’t..."

Awesome!! I plan to add this book to my Valentine's Day blog post. It is a sweet romance!! I hope you enjoy the story!

message 16: by RedemptionDenied (new)

RedemptionDenied Great review, Julie!

Suzanne One of my favorites!

Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader Beautiful review, Julie! Happy you enjoyed it!

Julie RedemptionDenied wrote: "Great review, Julie!"

Thank you, RedemptionDenied!!

Julie Suzanne wrote: "One of my favorites!"

I'm so glad I finally got around to reading this one!!

Julie Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader wrote: "Beautiful review, Julie! Happy you enjoyed it!"
Thank you, Jennifer!!

message 22: by Berit☀️✨ (new)

Berit☀️✨ Lovely review Julie! I’ve never read this, and I probably never will my days of classics are over I think😉😘

Julie Berit☀️✨ wrote: "Lovely review Julie! I’ve never read this, and I probably never will my days of classics are over I think😉😘"

Thank you, Berit!! There are many 'classics' out there I never got around to reading, and like you, probably never will. But, I do like to squeeze one in from time to time, if possible- but only if that's what I'm in the mood for. That being said, I collect vintage paperbacks and love older books, often more than current releases. I just don't have time to read them a often as I would like.

message 24: by Kaceey (new)

Kaceey Excellent review Julie!

Julie Kaceey wrote: "Excellent review Julie!"

Thank you, Kaceey!!

message 26: by Sandra (new)

Sandra Lovely review Julie! :)

message 27: by Esil (new)

Esil Always lovely to revisit Jane Austen. Great review, Julie.

Julie Sandra wrote: "Lovely review Julie! :)"

Thank you, Sandra!!

Julie Esil wrote: "Always lovely to revisit Jane Austen. Great review, Julie."

Thank you, Esil!!

message 30: by Supratim (new)

Supratim Nice review, Julie!

Julie Supratim wrote: "Nice review, Julie!"

Thank you, Supratim!!

message 32: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Great review Julie my thoughts exactly 🧡

Julie Deborah wrote: "Great review Julie my thoughts exactly 🧡"

Thank you, Deborah!!

message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

message 35: by Julie (last edited Feb 04, 2018 01:48PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Julie paulie wrote: "which modern day book are you going to read? i've only read austen retellings, never her original work. top notch, j dub!"
Thank you, Paulie. The book is called...wait for it... 'By the Book' by Julia Sonneborn. I'm nearly half way through it. It's pretty good, so far.

message 36: by Kendall (new)

Kendall Great review Julie! :)

Julie Kendall wrote: "Great review Julie! :)"

Thank you, Kendall!!

Julie Hajar wrote: "Terrific review, Julie!!"

Thank you, Hajar!!

message 39: by Deanna (new)

Deanna Another awesome review, Julie!!

message 40: by Roland (new)

Roland Clarke It's many decades since I read most of Jane Austen's novels - when I was at college studying Mansfield Park. I have to admit that I can't remember if I read Persuasion - I should have done, but...

Julie Deanna wrote: "Another awesome review, Julie!!"

Thank you, Deanna!!

Julie Roland wrote: "It's many decades since I read most of Jane Austen's novels - when I was at college studying Mansfield Park. I have to admit that I can't remember if I read Persuasion - I should have done, but..."

It had been a long time since I read Austen, as well. I may have read Persuasion a long time ago, but none of it was familiar. It was great to revisit Austen again. Thank you, Roland!

Mary Beth *Traveling Sister* Great review Julie!

Julie Mary wrote: "Great review Julie!"

Thank you, Mary!!

Tahera I am reading this at the moment 😁.

Julie Tahera wrote: "I am reading this at the moment 😁."

I hope you enjoy it, Tahera! Happy reading! 😁

Susanne  Strong Fantastic review Julie! Love your thoughts on this! I haven't read it since High School. I so wonder what I'd think now..

Julie Susanne wrote: "Fantastic review Julie! Love your thoughts on this! I haven't read it since High School. I so wonder what I'd think now.."

Thank you, Susanne! I seem to enjoy the classics more now that I'm older. This one was a little hard to get into, but I still appreciated Austen's thoughts. 🤗