Matthew Phelps's Reviews > Creativity, Inc.: Overcoming the Unseen Forces That Stand in the Way of True Inspiration

Creativity, Inc. by Ed Catmull
Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Creativity, Inc..

January 19, 2018 – Started Reading
January 19, 2018 – Shelved
January 19, 2018 –
page 21
January 23, 2018 –
page 45
13.24% "Interesting story so far about the origins of Pixar."
January 24, 2018 –
page 66
19.41% "Having an open door doesn’t mean people will walk through it to tell you what’s going on. Looking for issues doesn’t guarantee you’ll see them."
January 25, 2018 –
page 85
25.0% "What is more important: good ideas or good people? It’s a false dichotomy. Ideas come from people; foster an environment where people will thrive, and good ideas will follow."
January 26, 2018 –
page 106
31.18% "“Believe me, you don’t want to be at a company where there is more candor in the hallways than in the rooms where fundamental ideas or matters of policy are being hashed out.”"
January 29, 2018 –
page 129
37.94% "We all know that failure is a normal part of creativity, but fostering a culture that accepts and embraces this fact is the true challenge of leadership."
January 30, 2018 –
page 145
42.65% "“Negative feedback may be fun, but it is far less brave than endorsing something unproven and providing room for it to grow.”"
January 31, 2018 –
page 167
49.12% "We tend to minimize chance when we succeed and blame it when we fail. We tend to fear random events when they seem huge, and disregard them when they seem small. Yet the huge can have little impact, and the small can have lasting effects. We need to understand that randomness is inevitable and prepare to steady ourselves to be able to embrace change and grow."
February 1, 2018 –
page 189
55.59% "We can only ever see part of the whole; the rest we fill in with mental models shaped by our experiences. Everyone else does the same thing. If we consider these myriad viewpoints as additive rather than competitive, we have a much better chance of understanding the truth."
February 5, 2018 –
page 223
65.59% "There are many ways to avoid letting our mental models dictate how we see the world. To grow and create, we must seek them out and actively resist falling into the rut of the familiar."
February 6, 2018 –
page 243
71.47% "The way to deal with challenges is not to ignore them or fear they won’t be resolved, but trust that doing something—anything—will help move you towards a resolution."
February 7, 2018 –
page 275
80.88% "Corporate mergers often look good financially but can be disastrous for both organizations’ cultures. Ed Catmull describes how he and John Lasseter were able to navigate Disney’s acquisition of Pixar yet keep the culture intact that made both animation studios successful."
February 8, 2018 –
page 297
87.35% "Large organizations tend to lose their candor. Startups eventually feel more corporate. This is common, but not inevitable. Involved and inspired leadership can maintain vitality in their organizations, but only through involvement and persistence."
February 8, 2018 – Finished Reading