Ruthie Taylor's Reviews > Ryan's Bed

Ryan's Bed by Tijan

~~I received a free copy of this book to read and review for Wicked Reads ~~

It is not often that I feel a book is truly 'amazing' as the GR 5* review requires. I find it a term that means more than 5*s to be honest. But in this case the word 'Amazing' is exactly what I believe should apply to this book. And if I am being really accurate, to the very last page.

I am not someone who reads YA, and this does in many ways fall into that category. But this book is a rather wonderful reminder to anyone who feels that they are beyond YA, that actually the feelings of 18 year olds are just as formed as those of many adults. They may not be able to use experience to process them, but then not many adults have the experience necessary to do that either. So the emotions which dip and dive for Mackensie, her parents, Ryan and those around her make for an amazing book.

I wasn't a huge fan of the parties, the appearances of those who shouldn't be there, the mean girl games, but in part it reminded us that Mac's feelings, Ryan's behaviour, they all sat in this world and age group. That basketball came late in the story was really important, as they needed the time to be comfortable with each other - timing was key in many elements. Even the confusion of timing at the beginning worked to bring the level of disbelief and unreality to the fore.

The relationship between Mac and Ryan is undoubtedly key to the cohesiveness of the story; his patience is utterly enchanting - and the fact that his parents allow them to be together, is testament to the fact that he has good role models, who have helped him become that person. He could be so conceited but instead is supportive and loving. He is still a horny 18 year old, and drinks and hangs out, but he is protective, loving and just the rock that helps Mac live again.

Such a good book, such a difficult story to tell, but a really worthwhile read.

Wicked Reads Review Team

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ryan's Bed.

Started Reading