Melissa ♥ Melissa's Eclectic Bookshelf's Reviews > A Sound Among the Trees

A Sound Among the Trees by Susan Meissner

Oct 22, 2011

bookshelves: owned-print, reviewed-pub-or-author

This beautifully lyric book travels seamlessly between the present day and the civil war era while telling the stories of the antebellum mansion Holly Oak and her inhabitants.

First of all, I can’t get over how unbelievably lovely this novel was. I’m a big fan of writers who use tons of descriptives and imagery to make people and places come alive…and Susan Meissner does that wonderfully in A Sound Among the Trees. From the first page I felt as if I was there in that Sunlit Virginia garden and I couldn’t tear myself away.

Sometimes a novel that flips back and forth between past and present can be hard to appreciate…one either gets lost somewhere in between or at best feels as if the continuity of the stories is compromised. That was not the case with this book. Holly Oak herself acts as an anchor between the two time periods…between the two stories and in essence…almost becomes one of the characters herself.

As I was introduced to the inhabitants of the present and then slowly to the civil war era inhabitants I became deeply invested in all of their lives. I needed to know how the events of the past had transformed Holly Oak and how those events managed to still have such a strong hold over it’s current occupants. I needed to know if redemption could be found. I needed to know if it was actually even necessary in the first place. And most of all…. I needed to know…if the bogeyman was real.

And I’ll let you in on a little something…the bogeyman…he is indeed quite real.

And the best way to catch him out?

Cast your gaze into a mirror…

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Sound Among the Trees.

October 22, 2011 – Shelved