ABookwormWithWine's Reviews > Cross Her Heart

Cross Her Heart by Sarah Pinborough

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ / 5

Cross Her Heart is my first time reading a novel by Sarah Pinborough, but it will definitely not be my last. It seems that her novels can be rather polarizing, and I am happy to report that I really enjoyed this one.

What it's about: Lisa is living a fairly quiet life - she has a best friend named Marilyn, a teenage daughter she loves named Ava, and a great job. But when her daughter saves a boy from drowning and it ends up in the papers, it creates a whirl of activity brought on by a terrible secret from her past... and threatens Lisa's life as she knows it.

THIS BOOK. It did take me a bit to get into, but once I was hooked I was HOOKED. I thought it was predictable in some parts, but not in all, and the balance was fine for me. Marilyn was by far my favorite character, and even though she has shit of her own going on, she ended up being a source of comic relief throughout the novel. She was a badass and a very strong female character that I loved.

I think the best part is that the blurb doesn't tell you a whole lot, and I really don't recommend reading reviews before you read the novel. This is a great one to read and find out if you like it or not for yourself. People seem to be on both ends of the spectrum for this novel and I can see why. I thought that it did get a bit confusing with her chapter titles, but besides that I was able to keep up with the situation, and was so drawn to see what was so bad about Lisa's past.

Pinborough did a great job with pacing for me, and it really kept me interested in what was going on. Cross Her Heart does start a bit slow, and Lisa may drive people crazy with her overbearing mother routine, but it does pick up and get pretty interesting.

Final Thought: This is a great novel to spur a discussion as it will not be for everyone. It moves quite quickly, and I definitely recommend checking it out as it is a very quick and engrossing read once you get into it. Abuse does become a heavy theme though, so just beware of that if it is a topic that makes you uncomfortable to read about. The author doesn't really dwell too much on it though so that is something to take into consideration as well. All in all, I really liked this novel and would recommend it to almost everyone!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cross Her Heart.

January 18, 2018 – Shelved
September 30, 2018 – Shelved as: ebooks
September 30, 2018 – Shelved as: kindle-books
September 30, 2018 –
page 99
29.03% "I don’t want to stop reading!!"
October 7, 2018 –
page 182
October 14, 2018 – Shelved as: whodunnit
October 14, 2018 – Shelved as: from-the-publisher
October 14, 2018 – Shelved as: drama
October 14, 2018 – Shelved as: tough-subjects
October 14, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Heather~ Nature.books.and.coffee So glad to see you gave it 4⭐️...I have seen mixed reviews. Great review Mary, now I'm looking forward to it. I'm so behind 🙈

ABookwormWithWine Heather~ Nature.books.and.coffee wrote: "So glad to see you gave it 4⭐️...I have seen mixed reviews. Great review Mary, now I'm looking forward to it. I'm so behind 🙈"

I know! It's definitely a polarizing book, I hope you like it! At least I'm not the only one behind lol. Thank you x