Jeanette Heidenberg's Reviews > The Sheriff's Catch

The Sheriff's Catch by James Vella-Bardon

13301983

This is an excellent piece of historical fiction. I have not been this excited about a book series since Game of Thrones. But unlike GoT, the five books of this series have already been written and are awaiting publication.

In my mind, this book is a three-way cross between Ken Follett’s Kingsbridge series, Game of Thrones, and the Bourne Series. It’s an exceedingly well researched historical drama (Ken Follett) with a brutally honest depiction of the realities of warfare (GoT) at a relentless pace of never-ending action (Bourne).

I found myself more than once wanting to shout advice at Santi, the seasoned Spanish sniper, whose ill fated quest for revenge is the backbone of the story. I also found myself wincing and trying to avert my eyes from the horrific situations he gets into. Suffice it to say, the story is gripping and the characters are almost painfully relatable.

I had the pleasure of reading a pre-release version of this book as a serialisation on a social reading platform called The Pigeonhole. The book lends itself perfectly to serialisation. It is very well written with each chapter reading like an episode of a TV series, often ending with a cliffhanger. If I hadn’t been forced to take a break after each chapter, I would have read this book cover-to-cover in one go. In fact, I would be surprised if this series is not picked up by HBO or Netflix at some point.

I recently read (and loved) Ken Follet’s A Column of Fire, and this book is placed in the same timeframe. But where ACoF takes place mainly in England and France, this book depicts the same events from the point of view of Spain and Ireland. I think it is a testament to the quality of research of both Ken Follett and James Vella-Bardon that I felt like I was returning to the same 16th century Europe when reading this book, but this time I got to hear the other side of the story.

If you’re looking for an action-packed historical novel guaranteed to both entertain and educate you, I can warmly recommend The Sheriff’s Catch. I loved it and I’m eagerly awaiting the next instalment of The Sassana Stone series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sheriff's Catch.

January 8, 2018 – Started Reading
January 18, 2018 – Shelved
January 19, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

Deborah Bridger I do enjoy historical fiction because you learn so much about the times, which the author has so thoroughly researched, as well as enjoying a fictional tale with interesting characters. I found this book met both these pleasures with absolute dedication. The history is so interesting and leaves you wanting to know more about the time period. The descriptions, the development of the main character and the excitement of the story are excellent. Loved the book. Can't wait for the next one in the series.

Jeanette Heidenberg Thanks for the comment, Deborah. Good point about the things you can learn from reading historical fiction. That’s something I also enjoy. When you read historical fiction, you learn in a way that you can’t with pure history books. Historical fiction makes historical fact accessible and relatable.

message 3: by Nicklas (new) - added it

Nicklas Karlsson Since it's called a pentalogy and there isn't even a next book listed, let's hope that there is no further analogy to GoT...