Kate ☀️ Olson's Reviews > The Milk Lady of Bangalore: An Unexpected Adventure

The Milk Lady of Bangalore by Shoba Narayan

bookshelves: adult-reads, advanced-reader-copies, nonfiction

Some books enter into my life for the simple purpose of making me a more informed world citizen, and I am all for that. However, THE MILK LADY OF BANGALORE 100% did that, but also did the almost impossible and utterly charmed and entertained me at the same time. Narayan has taken a topic that seems to be incredibly simple (the life of the milk lady across the street from her apartment building), and has woven it into not just a rich look at life in modern India, but also a compassionate and loving tale of one family's life and livelihood, as well as a well-researched and fascinating account of the role of the cow and milk in Indian culture throughout history. And not just that - she wrote all of this in a fast-paced and addictive style, from her unique perspective of being born in India, living in the US for 20 years and then returning to India as an adult with her family.

As a lifelong Wisconsin resident, and a cow-landlord for 6 months out of the year, I thought I knew pretty much what I needed to know about these giant animals. But no. No, I didn't. Narayan has made me desperately want to travel to India ASAP to see for myself the differences between desi cows and imported hybrids. And taste packet milk versus fresh milk sold on the street. I want to see a cow shelter and I want to donate a cow to a Brahmin. This book is one I will truly never forget, and its gift of the cow urine anecdotes will give me something to bring up in awkwardly silent social gatherings for years and years to come.

If you read one nonfiction book in 2018, make it this one. And then PLEASE be in touch so we can talk about that cow urine. Please?

Thanks to Algonquin Books for the complimentary review copy of this title - all opinions are my own.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Milk Lady of Bangalore.

January 18, 2018 – Started Reading
January 18, 2018 – Shelved
January 18, 2018 – Shelved as: adult-reads
January 18, 2018 – Shelved as: advanced-reader-copies
January 21, 2018 – Shelved as: nonfiction
January 21, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)

message 1: by Kristin (new)

Kristin I keep seeing this book popping up around my IG and GR feeds and reading your review makes me so excited to get my hands on it!

Kate ☀️ Olson Kristin - it's just wonderful! I adore nonfiction and learning when I read, so this one was just perfect for me! Kristin wrote: "I keep seeing this book popping up around my IG and GR feeds and reading your review makes me so excited to get my hands on it!"

message 3: by michelle (new) - added it

michelle This sounds utterly fascinating (no pun intended). I think I'm going to have to take a look at this one!

message 4: by Iryna (new) - added it

Iryna Because of your review I am ready to die for finding this book soon) Thanks a lot!

Kate ☀️ Olson Oh yay! I hope you enjoy it!Iryna wrote: "Because of your review I am ready to die for finding this book soon) Thanks a lot!"

Suzy I live in Wisconsin too, and am also thoroughly enjoying this book. I'd talk cows, milk, dung and urine with you anytime!

Kristen Your review is spot on. I had to go to the store to buy some ghee to put on my morning toast while I read this gem.