Sheryl's Reviews > The Jade Temptress

The Jade Temptress by Jeannie Lin

2083366

Mingyu is one of the most revered courtesans in the Chinese capital of Chang An, during the Tang dynasty. She is famed for her beauty, elegance as well as hosting skills. She is embroiled into a gruesome murder and tossed into a scene of political intrigue, when she is summoned to the house of her patron, the high-ranking General Deng, and finds him beheaded. She approaches her arch-nemesis, Constable Kaifeng, for help (they had presumably started off on a bad note in Book 1 of the series) to clear her name. As they work together on this case, they start growing closer.

This was an unusual and interesting read. This is the first time I've come across a historical romance set in Imperial China, and written in such detail. I especially enjoyed the references to the tea ceremony and the art of hosting. Most historical romances are usually set in England. The mystery at the heart of the book was quite deftly woven and I didn't see the revelation coming. I had expected this to be a very straight forward romance.

I especially liked the reference to how the courtesan (Mingyu) was indentured to the house that she worked in, and how her wages were inflated till beyond redemption even after she became famous and successful and could draw a high income. This was pretty much the case for the Asian pleasure system.

Overall, a short and breezy read that I enjoyed because this heroine has a stronger spine than most of the wilting beauties in other romance novels. This book also offered a fresh perspective by coming in from a different cultural angle.

What I didn't like was the title - The Jade Temptress - what in the world?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Jade Temptress.

January 18, 2018 – Started Reading