Cadiva's Reviews > In Wild Lemon Groves

In Wild Lemon Groves by Selina Kray

bookshelves: favorites

I've never been to Italy but I have to say, having read this book, I have such a clear picture in my mind of the Amalfi Coast and the sights, sounds and smells that - if I ever did visit - it would feel like an old friend.

This book blew me away, the language used is so descriptive and evocative and paints such a vivid picture of the setting that Amalfi is almost a character in its own right.

And, speaking of characters, of Sébastien Osaki, I fell hard for him, a widower trying to find a path through his grief and retracing the steps of his dead husband Henry (a gentle character in the background, never overtaking the narrative but simply ushering it along in a quiet fashion) who was a travel writer for a tourist guide company (okay let's name check Lonely Planet here ;) )

Enter Andrea Sorrentino, part time chauffeur, part time vet, all round good guy and perhaps just the thing to pull Seb from his grieving, alongside three of the most wonderfully portrayed secondary characters I've seen in a book for a long time - the glorious cabal of Ceri, Maya and Kath, three friends/sisters from New Orleans staying in the same villa as Seb.

These three women were awesome, I would have loved to have joined them on one of their G&T fueled poker nights around the pool, laughing like drains at the day's happenings and reminding Seb it was time to either do his Julia Roberts (Eat, Pray, Love) or get with the Angela Bassett (How Stella Got Her Groove Back) and rejoin the land of the truly living.

This books is all about finding yourself again after loss. Not necessarily by falling in love with a person, but with acceptance and understanding that you can always grieve their absence but that life can - and must - carry on.

And, if you do so happen to fall in love again, with both place and a person, well that's just the icing on the cake.

I've never read Selina Kray before, but I will absolutely do so again. She's a wordsmith of the finest order, able to craft sentences which bring a book to life before your eyes.

#ARC kindly received from the author in return for an honest and unbiased (and in this case unashamedly glowing because I LOVED this book) review

PS: That cover! It's not often I pick a book because of its cover but this one just spoke to me and it's a stunning visualisation of the magic which happens inside it. So well done to the amazing artist Tiferet Design

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In Wild Lemon Groves.

January 18, 2018 – Shelved
January 18, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
January 28, 2018 – Started Reading
January 28, 2018 –
6.0% "Only 6% in and already the Italian atmosphere is like a physical presence, loving this so far."
January 30, 2018 –
35.0% "This book is so beautiful, the language is gorgeous and it creates amazing visuals of the Amalfi Coast which I can picture in my head so clearly."
January 31, 2018 – Finished Reading
February 28, 2018 – Shelved as: favorites

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)

~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~ The blurb alone is making me sad.

Cadiva ~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~ wrote: "The blurb alone is making me sad."

Yeah I know, I was a bit :( when I read it. But the cover is stunning though and I love "second" love romances when people think they've had their one shot and then they find someone else.

After all the heart expands to embrace many different types of love :) It'll be interesting to see how it's pulled off as it can be "too much perfect dead ex" sometimes!

~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~ I'll be watching for your review. I'm curious but not enough to request the ARC.

Cadiva ~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~ wrote: "I'll be watching for your review. I'm curious but not enough to request the ARC."

I think I'm getting one, can't remember if I signed up for it or just the cover reveal!

~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~ You're braver than me. We've long ago established that. I bow down.

Cadiva ~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~ wrote: "You're braver than me. We've long ago established that. I bow down."

Dani! this book is gorgeous! I'm more than 60% in now and it's nowhere near as sad as I thought it would be.

I think you'd be fine and the language, OMG, the language is beautiful, so visual and evocative.

~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~ What about steam level and ending?

Cadiva ~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~ wrote: "What about steam level and ending?"

Medium steam and a stupendously HEA :)

~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~ Cadiva wrote: "~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~ wrote: "What about steam level and ending?"

Medium steam and a stupendously HEA :)"

I can handle that. :)

Cadiva ~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~ wrote: "Cadiva wrote: "~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~ wrote: "What about steam level and ending?"

Medium steam and a stupendously HEA :)"

I can handle that. :)"

Ooh I can't wait to see what you think (knowing how much you love language like I do!)

~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~ How did you get your hands on the ARC?

Cadiva ~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~ wrote: "How did you get your hands on the ARC?"

Via Signal Boost Promotions from memory:

February 8 - February 19 Release Blitz & Review Tour for Selina Kray's In Wild Lemon Groves.

Bookreader87(Amanda) Lovely review. Adding it to my never ending TBR list :)

Cadiva BookReader87 wrote: "Lovely review. Adding it to my never ending TBR list :)"

Thanks hon!

Judith Lovely review....perfect! A new Author for me and I'm loving it,x

Cadiva Judith wrote: "Lovely review....perfect! A new Author for me and I'm loving it,x"

Oh I am glad Judith, this book just absolutely stole my heart, the language, the setting, everything about it is beautiful.