Edward Lorn's Reviews > Locke & Key, Volume 1: Welcome to Lovecraft

Locke & Key, Volume 1 by Joe Hill

I'm late as shit to the Joe Hill graphic novel game. I only read WRAITH because it was included in the limited edition of NOS4A2. I hate that I haven't started this series before now, but these shits are expensive. Rightly so, mind you, but I'm a professional writer, which means my income is limited. Plus I have a horrible (horrible in the best sense of the word) book addiction, so all of my fun money goes to novels and whatnot. This collection costs a hundred bones, but I managed to find a collector's edition on Amazon for sixty, so I finally snagged it. Super glad I did.

Aside from some silly as fuck facial expressions, the artwork herein is pretty good. I especially like the designs of the keys and ethereal bodies. The book, in my opinion, is well put together, but there were places where I was confused as to whose head I was in. It wasn't until halfway through the book did I realize the inner-thought boxes were color coordinated with certain characters. At least I think that's how it works.

I've yet to grow attached to any of the characters, given that the only thing I know about them is that they've suffered a terrible tragedy, but I'm hoping future books will further develop them. It's for this reason I dropped an entire star from my rating.

The real draw here is the near-perfect tone of the piece and the rad story line. I appreciate that it went places I didn't expect, even if the bad guy did remind me a bit of the Gas Mask Man from NOS4A2. I'm hoping Hill has more than one kind of villain in his toolbox, because this kind of bad guy gets old real quick.

In summation: LOCKE & KEY: WELCOME TO LOVECRAFT is a solid read with good artwork throughout, even if some of the art made me laugh when I wasn't supposed to. I believe I prefer when Hill works with Charles Paul Wilson III, but that's entirely subjective.

Final Judgment: Lock yourself in and turn the key.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Locke & Key, Volume 1.

January 17, 2018 – Started Reading
January 17, 2018 – Shelved
January 19, 2018 –
page 61
36.31% "chapter three. this is cool so far."
January 19, 2018 –
page 105
62.5% "a boat named Kelly Link"
January 19, 2018 – Finished Reading
February 14, 2018 – Shelved (Hardcover Edition)

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)

message 1: by Anthony (last edited Jan 19, 2018 01:14PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anthony Vacca The shapes of Rodriguez's characters' heads and their facial features didn't do it for me either. Luckily, his style improves as the issues continue so that this is less of an issue.

Edward Lorn oh cool! thanks for the info, Anthony!

message 3: by Jen (new)

Jen Bernardini Get the master Editions! Totally worth it.

Edward Lorn I might eventually. depends on how much I like the rest of the series 😁

Julian Flack I read all of these late last year and was genuinely blown away! They do take a bit to get going, but once the groundwork is laid and the mythology starts to open up it's just utterly fantastic. NOS4A2 was my favourite of Hill's work, but this stands as his true masterpiece in my opinion. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did Ed! :-)

Edward Lorn I picked up book two rooms after finishing this one and am enjoying it already. 😁