Coffeeboss's Reviews > I Know You're Out There: Private Longings, Public Humiliations, and Other Tales from the Personals

I Know You're Out There by Michael Beaumier

May 20, 2008

liked it
bookshelves: memoirs, festival-of-the-gays, humor

This book is a cute, fast read, and not as salacious as you might hope. The author was (is?) the long-time personals editor at a Chicago alternative paper, and the chapters alternate from his views on the "advertisers" who place personals ads (for dating, sex, friendship, etc) to more autobiographical bits about growing up with his huge Irish Catholic family, and his more current troubles in his own stagnating long-term relationship. Interestingly, it is not until half-way through the book that it is revealed that his troubled relationship is with his boyfriend. I guess it is due to his impressive discretion at his job (a requirement) and his ability to not judge others that you don't even notice he's gay until he mentions it. The book feels more like a collection of separate essays that something cohesive, but it is still a fun, light read for the bus.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Know You're Out There.