Heather K (dentist in my spare time)'s Reviews > And the next Thing You Know . . .

And the next Thing You Know . . . by Chase Taylor Hackett

*4.5 stars*

I unexpectedly loved this book, even with it's flaws.

I jumped into And the next Thing You Know . . . totally blind. I've never read anything from Chase Taylor Hackett before, and I didn't realize that it was even part of a series (Where Do I Start? is the first) when I requested it. And the next Thing You Know . . . started off a little weird for me as well, with its running internal-monologue sort of style. It was rambling, and I wasn't sure if I was going to like it at all.

And then I did. I really, really did.

This book is for all of you out there who like prickly MCs who start off hating each other. For people who like MCs who are all piss and vinegar and who have to WORK at each other. Over and over again. If you MCs who are all snark and bite and fire.

But then, underneath, you start to see hints of vulnerability. Just hints. And they make the whole thing worthwhile.

This book is in no way perfect. I forgave the MCs for some pretty crappy things they said (some questionable thoughts about whether men could rape one another - YES- and some other stereotypical, icky other things). There is also absolutely no sex. Not even fade-to-black. Sure, sex is implied, but it is implied like in a PG movie. Like they leave and go into a room and shut the door cut to the next day. However, I didn't mind that much.

When it comes down to it, though, this book gave me oodles and oodles of feels. I LOVED the snark and banter, and I ADORED the chemistry between the two MCs. I even got that tightness in my eyes and throat at the end of the story, I was so happy, and that tightness, that emotion, usually equates to 4+ stars in my book.

And the next Thing You Know . . . won't be for everyone, but people who connect to the writing style and the MCs will love it. Oh, and although this book is part of a series, it also works well as a stand-alone so don't be afraid to dive in. I was so happy that I did.

*Copy provided in exchange for an honest review*

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read And the next Thing You Know . . ..

January 16, 2018 – Started Reading
January 21, 2018 – Shelved as: great-chemistry
January 21, 2018 – Shelved as: favorites-2018
January 21, 2018 – Shelved as: contemporary
January 21, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)

Fabi Great review Heather! It absolutely works as a stand alone. Do the previous characters even make an appearance? Who could possibly NOT love this story?

Heather K (dentist in my spare time) Fabi wrote: "Great review Heather! It absolutely works as a stand alone. Do the previous characters even make an appearance? Who could possibly NOT love this story?"

I think those other guys in the book are the previous couple?

Fabi Dave and his husband? I wanted to think so at first, but...the way things played out didn't seem like they necessarily had an HEA. So...idk.

Heather K (dentist in my spare time) Fabi wrote: "Dave and his husband? I wanted to think so at first, but...the way things played out didn't seem like they necessarily had an HEA. So...idk."

Not them. The music playing ex and the hottie guy.

Heather K (dentist in my spare time) Fletch and Roger. I just double checked!

Fabi Oh yeah! Makes sense now. Thanks.

Tammy Did you read the first book in the series??

Heather K (dentist in my spare time) Tammy wrote: "Did you read the first book in the series??"

I didn't.

Trio I loved it too Heather, so much fun!
I didn't read the first in the series either.

Heather K (dentist in my spare time) Trio wrote: "I loved it too Heather, so much fun!
I didn't read the first in the series either."

Glad you enjoyed it!!

Stellaria Great review, Heather! I just finished it and it was very sweet :)

Heather K (dentist in my spare time) Stellaria wrote: "Great review, Heather! I just finished it and it was very sweet :)"

Thanks, hon!

message 13: by Dee (new)

Dee Now I'll give it try, I don't like anything more than MCs starting with hating eachother and teasing each others.

Heather K (dentist in my spare time) myself wrote: "Now I'll give it try, I don't like anything more than MCs starting with hating eachother and teasing each others."

SAME