Carrie's Reviews > The Right Attitude to Rain

Oct 21, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: fiction, series
Read on October 19, 2011

Ok, I admit, the characters are growing on me. I read this Kindle edition in one evening -- and immediate checked out the next one and finished it the next day.

I agree with the other reviewers who wonder where the "mystery" is, but they're quick reads and have caused me to ponder some of Isabel's philosophical musings.

Excerpt to ponder: "Begging, she realized, was one of those moral issues which she called intimate; they did not arise in the halls of academia so much as in the daily lives of people. There were questions that reminded us we had a moral faculty, a conscience: What do we owe our friends? Do I need to be kinder? Am I being selfish? Should I declare even that to the taxman? And to most of us, this was what moral philosophy was all about."

"To be able to imagine the other, and the experience of the other, was what wisdom was all about; but nobody talked about wisdom very much any more, nor virtue, perhaps because wisdom was not appreciated in a world of glitz and effect."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Right Attitude to Rain.