Mary (BookHounds)'s Reviews > Fateful

Fateful by Claudia Gray

Oct 21, 2011

bookshelves: 2011, from-publisher-author, young-adult, arc, e-book
Read on October 21, 2011

Tess is young enough to not exactly know her place as a servant in the Lisle household, so when the family leaves on the Titanic for America, she is traveling in third class, but has no fear of first class and moves effortlessly upstairs from downstairs. She is also mature enough to know when she is being taken advantage of, so she makes plans for her future when she gets to America. While she is tending to her employers, she meets a man, Alec, that has a secret that he would rather not share. Well, you already know the outcome of the Titanic, so the story is based around the facts and what it was like to be a servant during this time period. Everything is historical spot on and you will even learn a few things about this era, which for me was perfect.

Alec is a mystery, even after you know his werewolf secret, I found him very the perfect foil for Tess. As an American millionaire, there was less of a class divide between the two of them, so the romance part of this story worked and was more believable. Even more believable was the creepy description of the actual sinking of the Titanic. This is no gloss over. You can imagine the exact feelings of the passengers and the horror they witnessed as this ship went down. I am really impressed by the historical detail that is built into this world of both historical and paranormal situations. It is hard enough to get one of these right and Gray nailed both of them. Obviously, I cared more about Tess since she is so feisty. I am trying not to giveaway the finale, but well, you already know the ship sinks and I will leave it at that.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fateful.