Mike's Reviews > Deadpool Classic, Vol. 2

Deadpool Classic, Vol. 2 by Joe Kelly

Oct 21, 2011

Joe Kelly has a talent for humour - his run on JLA was very entertaining - and here his humour comes in handy in the weird-verse that is Deadpool. However, I find Kelly's humour a little more corny here than I remember. Which means either (a) Deadpool demands a huger calibre of insanity and sharp wit, (b) JLA is an easier target - all the bombast and seriousness of deadly earnest heroes, or (c) Kelly's talents improved between '97 and '03.

In fact, the ending to the first chapter is entirely cartoonish - as in, that's how a Bugs Bunny cartoon ends.

Thankfully that's not how the whole volume is. In fact, while the humour is usually there it's toned down and supplanted by a serious, dramatic tone that makes me glad I picked this up. To see DP rendered almost human by circumstances is a pleasure.

The action and twists are very fine, and Kelly's rendition of Daredevil is good enough to pass for a real gig. I'm impressed enough by where Kelly takes us (especially after the farcical start) that I'd actually recommend this book. A little pathos is an unexpected surprise, and as Declan says in his review, the quest for redemption adds welcome depth.

The art is very 90's - bold thick lines, exaggerated physiques, clear primary colours. Good but definitely a relic of the bygone era.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Deadpool Classic, Vol. 2.

October 21, 2011 – Shelved