Mike's Reviews > When She Woke

When She Woke by Hillary Jordan

it was ok
bookshelves: dystopian, moral-issues, religious-subject-matter, self-discovery, fantasy

The premise hooked me, a modern day Scarlet Letter meets Margaret Atwood, and the beginning few chapters had me intrigued as to what type of world this woman lived in. I especially liked the idea of her receiving red skin for the 'murder' of her unborn child. I thought, "hmm, how will she fit into this dystopian society?" "What will this book say about the world in which we live?" Then the message is sent to the reader -- and it's sent pretty loudly.

Quickly, it became apparent to me that this wasn't going to be the brilliant writing style of Hawthorne or Atwood, who created worlds in which the reader was asked to contemplate the novel and think about his or her own world view as it relates to the event that unfolded. No, in fact, I never once had to ask myself, "I wonder what this symbolizes," or "what is she trying to say here?" When a character says, "You sound...different. Changed," you know that your hand is being held by the author and you won't have to worry about thinking for yourself (which is hilariously ironic), the path has been cleared for you.

In a nutshell, this author's message was blatant and, while her message is a simple one of acceptance and love, it was force fed and that insulted me as a reader.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read When She Woke.

Finished Reading
October 21, 2011 – Shelved
May 3, 2012 – Shelved as: dystopian
May 3, 2012 – Shelved as: moral-issues
May 3, 2012 – Shelved as: religious-subject-matter
May 3, 2012 – Shelved as: self-discovery
March 23, 2015 – Shelved as: fantasy

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by Deb (new) - rated it 1 star

Deb I feel the same way. When I finish a book that I didn't particularly like, I try to look for something that I learned or liked that made reading the book worthwhile. I haven't found anything about this book that made it worth reading.