Ruth's Reviews > Dangerous Magic

Dangerous Magic by Alix Rickloff

Oct 21, 2011

bookshelves: adventure-fantasy, net_galley, historical-romance, captain-naval-pirate, paranormal, regency-victorian, covers-that-are-gorgeous
Read from October 22 to 23, 2011

I. Could. Not. Put. This. Down. Seriously. I would have pretty much reading it straight through in one long, delicious gulp if I hadn't remembered at 1am that actually I have a job and a life, and a 5 year old who'll give me hell if I'm grumpy at 6am. This book, provided by netgalley, totally captivated me from the first chapter right through until the last and actually left me in that slightly dazed state when you've just finished a great book, and can't quite clear your head to decide what to read next.

This is one of those books that can't easily be classified by genre, since in theory it straddles two or three. There is some paranormal in there, some pirate/captain/smuggler stuff going on, plus other Regency themes related to the wars with France (I won't give it away since it comes way out of left-field) and Society, and the heroine is essentially poor from a fishing village, whilst the hero is from Quality. But, trying to fit this book into a genre, sub-genre, or any other classification, is just totally pointless.

It is, essentially, a really great love story, but also a fable of choices, and the different elements, paranormal, Regency, pirate/smuggler, all support that story without dominating. In fact, if you really enjoy all those genres, but just want something a bit different then this is probably a story you would enjoy. I do find all the different witches, mages, vampires etc a bit difficult to follow in pure-paranormal. I like reading them, but it can be a bit like hard work sometimes. Likewise, I do love a good Regency romance, largely since I love the history and find it slightly amusing how so many authors have managed to spin so many stories from one very short (9 year) period, but find all the marriage-market and clothing descriptions a bit tedious sometimes, and always resent the lack of stories involving those outside the Upper Ten Thousand. And, well, I always love a good pirate/naval story (no caveats with that one!). This story has it all.

And yet... it is also incredibly well-written. The prose just flows so easily, with some wonderfully expressive language, which is descriptive without being convoluted. This author has such a great writing style that it is a pleasure to read, simply building the story, developing the characters and sucking you into their world. You are left in no doubt as to exactly what she means, but you can also smell, touch and hear exactly what the characters are experiencing. A simple description of two people in a carriage becomes incredibly vivid when the author adds in the forest setting first darkening the interior then blasting it with shafts of daylight, and how this conceals and then reveals the facial expressions of the occupants. And all this great writing doesn't overshadow the story at all. The plot and the two protagonists are still the stars.

I hadn't read this author before, but I certainly will be now!

5 stars. Loved it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dangerous Magic.

message 1: by Tammy (new) - added it

Tammy Walton Grant Excellent review, Ruth!! I'm off to find this one to read ASAP. Thanks!

Ruth Tammy wrote: "Excellent review, Ruth!! I'm off to find this one to read ASAP. Thanks!"

Thanks Tammy. I really enjoyed this one. Can you tell?

message 3: by Tammy (new) - added it

Tammy Walton Grant Not a bit ;D. I love your reviews - you tell me exactly what I want to know about the book, and I want to read this one. Right. Now. Especially after you said this:

I just looked on amazon and I can't get it until Monday. Rats! Gotta like the pre-order button, though.

I haven't been keeping up checking my updates - I should go see what you've been reviewing lately! Have a great weekend! (And especially Halloween with a 5yr old!)

Ruth Tammy wrote: "Not a bit ;D. I love your reviews - you tell me exactly what I want to know about the book, and I want to read this one. Right. Now. Especially after you said this:

A simple description of two ..."

Oh thanks Tammy! This was a different book, and I'm a sucker for books which cross genres.