Darque Dreamer 's Reviews > Reapers

Reapers by Bryan Davis

bookshelves: top-reads

Reapers is dark, seductive, and exhilarating! Davis delivers thrills, chills, and a thought provoking world surrounding death. Brace yourself for a fast-paced story full of danger, emotion, and surprising twists!

This one was intensely powerful and I loved every minute of it! It touched on facets of life, love and loss, and sparked deep seated thoughts and emotions regarding death and the beyond. It was a beautifully heartbreaking story surrounding the age-old question of “what happens when we die?”
So, what came to mind when reading the title Reapers? I bet you thought of black hoods, scythes, death, lack of emotion, and/or skeletal figures. Bryan Davis definitely included the hoods and death, but he also created an emotional story with dynamic (human) characters and a sense of hope for humanity.

It was engaging, refreshing, and unique. I loved the premise of the plot involving the reaping of souls in an urban dystopian setting, and I felt the immense sentimentality of fearing death and hoping for a pleasant afterlife. I was in awe of the world Davis created and the personalities he developed for the Reapers whom you would assume would be jaded from dealing with death so often.

Phoenix was such an endearing character! He was strong, brave, and moral. He also had a vulnerable side which drove his choices and motivated him to go on in a hopeless world.
Singapore was mysterious and intriguing. She added a little humor to the story and a touch of passion. I loved her role in the story and the way she changed Phoenix and Shanghai.
Shanghai was so interesting to read. She just flew off the page with intensity and spunk. She was strong and fierce with a touch of vulnerability.

What a page turner this was! I enjoyed the action and the inclusion of the ghosts and the soul reaping. I consistently found myself deep in thought about spirits, souls, death, and the afterlife. The plot was fascinating and full of surprises, and I fell in love with the intensity and emotion behind it! I decided about halfway through that I am in need of books 2 and 3, now!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Reapers.

January 15, 2018 – Shelved