Orlane's Reviews > Looking for Alaska

Looking for Alaska by John Green

6742098
Oct 21, 2011

bookshelves: ya

This book was really good and I liked it but still, something was ...off... I can't quite put my finger on it but this wasn't as amazing as I thought it would be.
Everyone was raving about this book saying that it is fantastic and all. So, I thought that this was going to be a mind-blowing read. Although I loved many things in this book, others felt flat to me ( for instance, I didn't cry at all while reading it - I almost did while reading the fault in our stars though).

As far as the plot goes, I enjoyed it very much and I felt that the pacing was okay. It fitted the plotline. One of my favorite aspect of this book is the references. Indeed, they are scattered all over the book: the last world, the religion class, some phylosophical questions... I absolutely loved that because when you're reading this book you can feel that this book will be beneficial to you and that it will resonate to you on many different levels. So well done for that !

I loved the characters in this book but my favorite is not Miles but it's the Colonel, I like him very much, he's smart, funny, he's loyal to both his friends and his family.A great guy and a great friend.

However, sometimes I didn't understand why these characters did what they did. They did things I personally wouldn't have so I could hardly relate to them at some points. Maybe that explains my distance toward them.

Finally, I think that the writing style and the cover were perfect for the book. I also quite liked the idea of a countdown and a book in two parts.

Overall, this was a great read that many will adore, that I'm sure. But, which unfortunately didn't resonate with me as much as I expected to.
I will check out more books by John Green though because he's a great author and a great vlogger as well.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Looking for Alaska.