Wwmrsweasleydo's Reviews > The Rose of Sebastopol

The Rose of Sebastopol by Katharine McMahon

Oct 21, 2011

it was ok
Read from October 21 to 29, 2011

This would have had three stars were it not for the unsatisfactory ending. The last of the five parts was, overall, my favourite, but it felt as though it was leading up to a revelation or realisation or even twist and in the end there was nothing.

The first few parts are rather twee and ladylike and unfortunately the main protagonist (first person narrator) isn't very likeable. It's not really feasible that other characters would fall in love with her. Luckily she develops over the last couple of sections, but not really enough.

Some of the information about the Crimean war - which I didn't know a lot about - was quite interesting as was the glimpse into medical practise of the time. However, the major exposition of the book seemed to be that war isn't very nice, which I think most of us knew already.

There's nothing wrong with this book and I got quite into it towards the end. There's nothing very impressive about it either, though.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Rose of Sebastopol.