Chandra Claypool (wherethereadergrows)'s Reviews > The Night Market

The Night Market by Jonathan   Moore

liked it
bookshelves: arc

My first Jonathan Moore book! A dystopian sci-fi "thriller" set in a unique world. Quite an intriguing read.

A bit mobster feel, tied in with sci-fi themes with memory loss and a weird gray moss that turns people into pulp. WHAT?! After being around this element, Carver and his partner Jenner, wake up days later with no memory of the event and things just don't make sense.

I felt there were a ton of elements to this story - thriller, mobster, sci-fi and romance. At times it felt all over the place and I felt like maybe I had also been introduced to this memory loss poisoning thing that was happening to Carver. WHY CAN'T I REMEMBER WHAT'S HAPPENING??? The author did a great job in making some lighter moments happen mixed in with the darker theme. Quite frankly, I may start peeling the labels off my wine bottles like Mia does. I really love the idea of this! I did get a little lost along the way, yet I was absolutely and totally intrigued with this book. It's a weird mixture of feeling to have when reading a book. Sci-fi isn't necessarily my go-to genre, so please take that into account. (I believe someone once said that it's only sci-fi if you don't believe!).

I could've done without the romance - I felt it was a bit too much in this read. I also didn't feel connected to any of the characters. I'm not sure if it's because of the way the world is and that's how people just are... or if there was just something missing for me that I can't quite pin point. While I needed to know what was going to happen and was absolutely interested in the storyline, it just didn't QUITE work for me as well as I had hoped it would. Things felt a little bit rushed at the end. I do admire the author's unique writing style and think this is better suited for those who really like those sci-fi books with a little strange.

Thank you to HMH Books for this copy!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Night Market.

January 15, 2018 – Started Reading
January 15, 2018 – Shelved
January 15, 2018 – Shelved as: arc
January 17, 2018 –
page 43
14.93% "Well this certainly starts of interestingly!"
January 19, 2018 – Finished Reading