Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink's Reviews > The Wicked King

The Wicked King by Holly Black

"I want to tell you so many lies."

A billion spiteful stars.

Everything hurts, and no, I'm not okay. Holly is a delightfully cruel author and I love and hate her for it. It's very confusing. I'm not sure I can write this review as a 'sane' person but I'll try. Disclosure: spoilers for the first book, but not for this one!

"Your ridiculous family might be surprised to find that not everything is solved by murder," Locke calls after me.

"We would be surprised to find that," I call back.

So, we still have Jude, who is as pleasant as ever as she schemes restlessly to keep the power she stole at the end of the first book. Not only does she have to keep Cardan, who is... well, the same Cardan we all came to love, in check, but she now has to deal with the entire court who would love nothing more than to do away with her.

But let's start with our favorite resident princeling.

"You've won yourself a year and a day," he told me. "But a lot can happen in a year and a day. Give me all the commands you want, but you'll never think of everything."

Cardan, while utterly himself, continued to surprise me. He's one of those unpredictable wildcard characters, and though nothing he does is really 'surprising', he still leaves you baffled and scratching your head at every turn. But the best part? His relationship with Jude is tense, angsty, full of 'what even just happened' moments, and ahhh, I can't say much more but it was so DAMN fun.

Maybe grab a fan.

"I wondered if it wasn't you shooting bolts at me."

I make a face at him. "And what made you decide it wasn't?"

He grins up at me. "They missed."

You never quite know what he has up his sleeve or his true intentions, and trust me, he'll leave you guessing until the very end - not to mention, he might be a tad more powerful than we all expected.

"Surely you have noticed that since his reign began, the isles are different. Storms come in faster. Colors are a bit more vivid, smells are sharper."

Then we have Madoc, Jude's 'stepfather' whom she totally betrayed and made a fool of at the end of the first book. As you can guess, he's not thrilled. So not only is Madoc and the rest of Jude's 'family' on edge and trying to get their clutches on her, we have the rest of the faerie court, all of whom are suuuuper suspicious as to why Cardan has Jude by his side all the time. Oh, and then there's Locke, who is still... awful. And he... of course... causes problems. As he does.

Basically, everyone wants to take Jude down.

AND.

As if that isn't enough, we have our lovely albeit rotten Queen of the Sea and her oh-so-sweet daughter, Nicasia, both of whom hate Jude with a fiery passion.

I'm not going to lie - this book is 90% court intrigue, scheming, and angst, which if you know me, that's all I could ever want. If you aren't into that, you might not love it as much as I did. It isn't as if a TON happens, but for me, it never ceased to entertain. Holly is brilliant, not only with her words and one-liners but with her planning and characterization.

Jude continues to be a unique, rage-filled yet somehow relatable character who stands out in the YA market. She's fiery, witty, mean, and yet she still finds a way to burrow into your heart. That's good writing, folks. She's easily one of my favorite characters ever, and I can't help but love her no matter what decisions she makes.

Full of twists and turns, I couldn't put it down. So many scenes are like a punch in the face, while others made me feel like I was DROWNING, scrambling for air. If you thought the first book was cruel, you-know-nothing-John-Snow.

Because that ending.

The pain.

This is your warning.

Prepare yourself.

My Blog ~ Instagram ~ Twitter ~ Etsy

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wicked King.

January 15, 2018 – Shelved
July 30, 2018 – Started Reading
July 30, 2018 –
page 0
0.0% "Hello yes I am starting this and I can’t breathe..."
July 30, 2018 –
page 59
17.56% "THIS. BOOK.

....
......."
page 148
44.05% "My heart... is racing..."
page 220
65.48% "I am STRESSED"
July 31, 2018 –
80.0% "I... do not... know how to feel... send help"
August 1, 2018 –
98.0% "I am scared to finish. I am scared to turn the page."
August 1, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-50 of 85 (85 new)

message 1: by Sydney (new) - added it

Sydney Hammersky Uh oh 😳

Alana • thebookishchick WHAT?! WHAAAAAT?! SICK?! I NEED ANSWERS!!

Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink Sydney wrote: "Uh oh 😳"

Uh oh is correct...

Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink Alana • thebookishchick wrote: "WHAT?! WHAAAAAT?! SICK?! I NEED ANSWERS!!"

ALANA MY LOVE I NEED YOU TO READ IT UGH

Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink I am in chinaௐyayyyyy(Philip) I am on wrote: "yes"

Alana • thebookishchick Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink wrote: "Alana • thebookishchick wrote: "WHAT?! WHAAAAAT?! SICK?! I NEED ANSWERS!!"

ALANA MY LOVE I NEED YOU TO READ IT UGH"

See you in five months 😭💀

Andreita24 I can’t wait for this review !!! 😍😍😍💙💙💙💙

Hanaa U got it from Edelweiss right??

Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink Andreita24 wrote: "I can’t wait for this review !!! 😍😍😍💙💙💙💙"

I'll write it up soon!

Chelsea ❤Peril Please❤ I still hatchu. 4 real tho. But, also, Love you. And Mags. Always Mags.

Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink Chelsea ❤Peril Please❤ wrote: "I still hatchu. 4 real tho. But, also, Love you. And Mags. Always Mags."

Haha 💙 💙💙 I'm excited to see what you think! Time will fly, I promise!

Tani ~Hiatus~ Omg! I'm really envious of you right now. 😉 The wait is torturous. 😥😭😭

Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink Taniksha wrote: "Omg! I'm really envious of you right now. 😉 The wait is torturous. 😥😭😭"

I'm sorry! But it will be super worth it!

message 14: by Erin (new) - rated it 5 stars

Erin Same. This one killed me.

message 15: by Siobhan (new) - added it

Siobhan ahhhhh i can’t wait to read it 🙈

Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink Erin wrote: "Same. This one killed me."

Oh yeah I'm SO dead. Ill never recover

Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink Siobhan wrote: "ahhhhh i can’t wait to read it 🙈"

I can't wait for everyone to read it and be in pain with me!

Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink Hanaa wrote: "U got it from Edelweiss right??"

No I don't think they have been approving many people unfortunately!

Hanaa Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink wrote: "Hanaa wrote: "U got it from Edelweiss right??"

No I don't think they have been approving many people unfortunately!"

Yeah they have been declining my requests so... do you know where i could get it? You got it from the publisher? ( if you don’t mind me being nosy)

Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink Hanaa wrote: "Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink wrote: "Hanaa wrote: "U got it from Edelweiss right??"

No I don't think they have been approving many people unfortunately!"

Yeah they have been declining my requests s..."

I'm sorry I don't know the best way. I don't think they are giving them to reviewers. I read a friend's copy

message 21: by pris (new)

pris OMG OMFG IS IT GOOD???!!!

I didn’t like the first book that much, but I really, REALLY wanted to read the second book. Is it any good?

Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink I loved it! Hence the 5 stars 🤗💕

Vania Yup that book was the best and the worst all in one. Ugh I just love it so hard

Lindsay Bilgram This book ruined my ability to be a person and I will never be the same. By far my favorite book of all time, and I'll just be withering away until Queen of Nothing

Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink Vania wrote: "Yup that book was the best and the worst all in one. Ugh I just love it so hard"

Yep yep I'd have to agree

Sol ~ TheBookishKing #booksfortrade? i'll trade you catwoman soulstealer !

Alana • thebookishchick Britt don't do this to me 😭😭😭

This review is EVERYTHING and now I shall curl in a ball and die as I wait.

Hannah Wall That was one heck of a brilliant and intriguing review I can’t wait to read it

message 29: by Dena (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dena Gilham I am dead...not ready!!!

Jannat Does it end with a cliffhanger? Will there be a book 3?

message 31: by Lucy (new)

Lucy Cairns Honestly, even reading this review was far too much for me. I am counting down the days.

Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink Lindsay wrote: "This book ruined my ability to be a person and I will never be the same. By far my favorite book of all time, and I'll just be withering away until Queen of Nothing"

Yep yep we will never be the same.. ever... again...

message 33: by Dani (new) - added it

Dani Shembesh This review put me in a bind omg, I can't wait!!!

Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink Solomon ~ TheBookishKing wrote: "#booksfortrade? i'll trade you catwoman soulstealer !"

LOL yeahh nooooooooope

Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink Alana • thebookishchick wrote: "Britt don't do this to me 😭😭😭

This review is EVERYTHING and now I shall curl in a ball and die as I wait."

UGHHHH I NEED YOU TO READ IT

Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink Hannah wrote: "That was one heck of a brilliant and intriguing review I can’t wait to read it"

Ahh thank you! I hope you love it!

Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink Jannat wrote: "Does it end with a cliffhanger? Will there be a book 3?"

Definitely a cliffhanger. A big one.

Sol ~ TheBookishKing ugh your loss ! ugh.

i would never ever ever ask anyone to trade for that book

message 39: by Anji (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anji Cooper Wow I was already excited for this book but now I’m pumped! Court intrigue? Lies? Deceit? Angst? All up my alley. So jealous that you got to read it! But now I’ll just count down the days with even more anticipation.

Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink Anji wrote: "Wow I was already excited for this book but now I’m pumped! Court intrigue? Lies? Deceit? Angst? All up my alley. So jealous that you got to read it! But now I’ll just count down the days with even..."

Right? Like everything I could ever want! I hope you love it :) It's worth the wait!

Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink Solomon ~ TheBookishKing wrote: "ugh your loss ! ugh.

i would never ever ever ask anyone to trade for that book"

ahahhh ah hah ah ha

Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink Dena wrote: "I am dead...not ready!!!"

I don't think you can ever be ready!

message 43: by Lore (new) - added it

Lore Gah!!! I must read it now! You got me all excited! Great review by the way!

Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink Lore Aka. Lolo wrote: "Gah!!! I must read it now! You got me all excited! Great review by the way!"

I'm so glad! The wait isn't much longer now!

Christine Ahh! You're killing me. I was so mad at Jude through the first book, like "hello? Are you even paying attention?" But that ending! I can't wait. Can. Not.

Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink Christine wrote: "Ahh! You're killing me. I was so mad at Jude through the first book, like "hello? Are you even paying attention?" But that ending! I can't wait. Can. Not."

Oh no! I'm sorry you were mad at June! I actually really loved her because of how imperfect she was. I hope you enjoy this one!

Natalie Grazier Someone please tell me what happens at the end 😭😢

Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink Natalie wrote: "Someone please tell me what happens at the end 😭😢"

Luckily the release is only a few months away now!

Madison S. Would you possibly be interested in giving us the tiniest hint as to what the spoiler is? I am literally dying here with the supspense! I can't even!!!!

Madison S. Sorry I meant cliffhanger! A hint at the cliffhanger pretty please!

« previous 1