Alisa Ellie's Reviews > Rough Animals

Rough Animals by Rae DelBianco

bookshelves: anticipated-2018, own-2018, fave, fave-2018
Read 2 times. Last read March 27, 2018 to March 30, 2018.

“The only way to influence another’s fate is by destroying them. It’s the only thing that can be done permanently and by an action within your control. To try to protect someone is to try to intervene in the actions of the world against them but that’s something you can’t face alone or entirely because if fate has bullets for them you can only take one.”

Rough Animals is precisely an excellent example of how a powerful new voice shapes the formidable novel. The story is written so ably that I’d never thought it’s a debut novel. The beauty of narration is murderous. It’s a deadly weapon in Rae’s arms, and she gladly carries the bloodshed not only on the pages of her novel but makes the reader bleeding with her narrative style in such an elegant and neat way. A couple of comparisons almost killed me with their beauty. It's the book I envy I didn't write by myself. I’m not so gifted tho.

I feel Rae’s love for classics through the pages of Rough Animals. I know she’s been compared to Denis Johnson and Cormac McCarthy and it’s a well-deserved statement. Moreover, she managed to create the spirit of romanticism for the rural life throughout the story full of violence, death, revenge, battles, and guns.

The story is hard to put down. In spite of the blood and murder flows with an endless stream, Rae spares a room for a vital message which is adroitly tangled into the wise plot and is revealed only at the very end that makes the jaw drop. It's the book that will never be forgotten after once read. Profoundly embedded in my reader’s mind, Rough Animals possesses the ability to surprise, causes the potent dependence and evokes the desire to be read once more. I have a premonition that it’ll be one of the most-talked-about books this year.

With Rough Animals, Rae proved herself as the author whose books I definitely will collect in my library. Highly recommended and mark my word, you’ll hear not once about this work of the imagination and twisted mind.

Rae provided me with the ARC of Rough Animals, but it’s in no way manipulated my opinion. I’m honest in my statements.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rough Animals.

Finished Reading
January 15, 2018 – Shelved
January 15, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
March 27, 2018 – Started Reading
March 27, 2018 – Shelved as: anticipated-2018
March 27, 2018 – Shelved as: own-2018
March 28, 2018 –
page 12
3.95% ""... the dirty strands of hair fallen over her face, like the heavy veins of a dark disease."

I'm starting envy Rae's description style though I'm only on page 12."
March 30, 2018 – Shelved as: fave
March 30, 2018 – Shelved as: fave-2018
March 30, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Elyse (retired from reviewing/semi hiatus) Walters Such a BEAUTIFUL review!!! And I think this book is very challenging to review as it’s just so AMAZING!
You sure did it justice.