Maggie V's Reviews > Winter Town

Winter Town by Stephen Emond

Oct 21, 2011

bookshelves: boy-books, drama, girl-books, graphic, lgbtqi, romance, ya

First of all, I love this cover; actually I love the little paper circle things (yes, that is the correct term for the paper that is cut out of the page by a one or three hole punch) at the very bottom. It’s so dark and wintery and snowy that I actually put off reading it because I wasn’t (and still am not truthfully) ready for the fall much less the winter. But I’m glad that I did read it. The book was a bit different from what I was expecting. I assumed that the story would be a more straight-forward romance told from Evan’s perspective. However, it was (at least to me) more about relationships … Evan and Lucy’s, Evan and his family, Lucy and her family. The characters were complex, and their issues had to be worked out and dealt with. Emonds doesn’t give them easy fixes which I appreciated.

This contemporary story incorporates a fantasy comic strip which I would actually read in its entirety if Emond’s decides to turn it into a separate book. The comic strip as well as the illustrations add to the story and are well incorporated.

There was only one part of the book where I was jolted out of the story and it was simply because the narration switched to Lucy’s point of view. Most of the story was from Evan’s perspective so I simply wasn’t prepared for “Dad” to be Lucy’s dad and was confused until I realized the P.O.V. had switched. And this wasn’t a big deal.

All I will say about the ending is that it was right. I’m not going to spoil, but when I finished that last sentence the book felt complete. I will definitely be recommending this to fans of the realistic contemporary who don’t want an “issue” book (I don’t read much in this genre, but Sara Dessen and other authors mentioned after her).

Reviewed ARC sent by publisher.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Winter Town.