Cheryl's Reviews > Light a Penny Candle

Light a Penny Candle by Maeve Binchy

Oct 21, 2011

bookshelves: owned
Read from January 01 to November 08, 2011 — I own a copy

The first time I read a Bnchy novel, I was like, “Is this her best novel yet?” Oh, right. This is just one out of many. Reading another of her novel has not ruined my expectations of finding her words as moving and her characters as lively and real as those in the first I’ve read.

Really, it’s like, the people in the novel are not mere icons of fiction but they actually seem like you’re personally hearing their conversations. Every word the characters say is breaking my heart for the innate geniuses they have in them. It’s nice to see that these people are really trying to make something worthy out of their lives and Binchy never failed to make each of her characters have that overwhelming sense of strong and motivated personalities.

Another thing why I love the novel so much is because of the tranquil environment amidst the bustling to-and-fro of mobs in a big city. You can still see a sense of peace although war is evidently going on. It’s like, when everything goes wrong, you still have a home to go to. The novel even proves more than just that.

Generally, the novel is one masterpiece any genteel traveler would love to carry along whilst in a pleasant holiday trip.

And oh, I like Johnny Stone so much. I was really hoping he'd change and be a gentleman and marry someone though.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Light a Penny Candle.

Suzanne I like your review Claire, you have a peaceful way of speaking your opinion. Nice ;) I'm reading it now and enjoying it.