Lauren's Reviews > Storm of Shadows

Storm of Shadows by Christina Dodd

Oct 21, 2011

bookshelves: paranormal-romance, virgin-heroines, prophecy, native-american, psychics, librarians

Storm of Shadows
5 Stars

Synopsis
The Chosen Ones are in desperate need of a prophecy to guide them in their battle against the Others and Aaron Eagle is sent to enlist the aid of Dr. Elijah Hall, a linguist and expert in antiquities. However, the Dr. Hall he encounters is the old man's absent-minded and naive daughter, Rosamund, who has already been targeted by the Others. Will Aaron and Rosumand be able to locate the prophecy before it is too late?

Review
The first book was disappointing and it took me ages to decide to continue the series but am glad that I did because Storm of Shadows is a vast improvement on book #1 both in terms of the romance and the story.

The romance is captivating with a dark and mysterious hero and a naive heroine completely oblivious to her own beauty and to any and all social niceties. My inner nerd could not help but fall in love with her.

The character development is excellent as Aaron and Rosamund are both deeply flawed and have personal demons to overcome before they can acknowledge their love for each other. Rather than love/lust at first sight, their relationship is a slow build up of sexual tension and affection, which only adds to their characterization as individuals and as a couple. Aaron is able to see through Rosamund's frumpy and socially inept facade to the beautiful and intelligent woman beneath and Rosamund is able to chip away at Aaron's veneer of sophistication to the see the honorable man he truly is.

The plot is well written and developed. The quest for the prophecy and the lore surrounding the Chosen Ones is compelling. I enjoyed following the Prophetess's journey and encountering the various clues and people alongside Aaron and Rosamund - very Indiana Jones like. Moreover, the connections between this series and Dodd's previous paranormal books (Darkness Chosen) is becoming clearer - (view spoiler)

There are some interesting twists and turns and intriguing hints at things to come, such as the enigmatic Davidov, Gary White's true intentions and Aleksandr's mysterious girlfriend. I look forward to finding out what happens next.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Storm of Shadows.

Quotes Lauren Liked

Christina Dodd
“I do care about real life. It's just not as interesting as what's in my books.”
Christina Dodd, Storm of Shadows