Kat's Reviews > Seveneves

Seveneves by Neal Stephenson

It was a gripping and transporting read, I couldn't put this book down! I think it'll be my second favorite Neal Stephenson's book after 'Cryptonomicon'.

(Not that I read all of his books. So far I read only 7 of his novels but I definitely plan to read them all.)

Imagine that the scientists of the world predicted with 100% certainty that in two years everything on the surface of the Earth will be destroyed by the meteor shower that will last for 5000 years.

Humanity has two years to prepare for that event and find a way to survive without Earth surface for 5000 years. Would you say that it's possible?

I would definitely say no to that question. But Neal Stephenson really does believe in humanity: not only he deems it possible, but he describes how exactly it could be done, with no lack of technical details.

In fact, this is a sci-fi book that has so many science in it, that it seems closer to popular science than to fiction at times. I really enjoyed the scientific parts when the author might describe on several pages how the spacesuit works, or how one space module has to be connected to another, or how the spacecraft gets to a different orbital plane. (Which reminded me of 'The Martian', another book I love for precisely the same reasons)

But there were also very touching and heroic moments, and lots of very interesting and deep thoughts on society and technology, and the role of social media (which almost destroyed the humankind in that book) and also the conflict of scientists and politicians who might know and understand nothing but still have this almost magical power to influence people.

I especially liked the first and second parts which I would describe as an epic survival quest. The third part reads more like a spy action thriller, I didn't like it as much, except the fact that it starts with a sentence, unique in my reading experience: "Five thousand years later".
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Seveneves.

April 21, 2015 – Shelved (ebook Edition)
April 21, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read (ebook Edition)
April 21, 2015 – Shelved as: cosmo-sci-fi (ebook Edition)
January 14, 2018 – Started Reading