Callum McLaughlin's Reviews > The Diving Pool

The Diving Pool by Yōko Ogawa

bookshelves: translated, gothic-and-horror, character-study

There's something about Ogawa's work that is so effortlessly unsettling. It's like wandering around a seemingly pristine room, feeling that something just isn't quite right about it, before spotting a patch of mould festering in the corner. We'd rather ignore its ugliness, lest it spoil the beauty, but Ogawa takes us by the hand and makes us stare right at it.

The three novellas that comprise this book all explore suppressed emotion, with her heroines' slightly off kilter view of the world and inner frustrations manifesting in a sense of detachment, and casual everyday cruelty. In this way, she exposes the dark side of human nature that is never far from civilised society, using elegantly simple prose that is punctuated by imagery that tips the balance between beauty and revulsion.

The third story in particular challenges convention, plays with tropes of the gothic genre to toy with reader expectations, and presents us with a startling final tableau. She doesn't hand us all the answers, nor does she want us to feel entirely comfortable, and yet somehow, she hooks us in for the ride, and leaves us feeling bewildered in the very best way.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Diving Pool.

January 14, 2018 – Shelved