Minerva Spencer's Reviews > And the next Thing You Know . . .

And the next Thing You Know . . . by Chase Taylor Hackett

Read 2 times. Last read January 14, 2018 to January 15, 2018.

This book came at a perfect time! I had just finished back to back weepers (see reviews for Tomorrow Will Be Different: Love, Loss, and the Fight for Trans Equality and Sugar Money) and I really, really needed something that made me laugh and smile.

I honestly cannot recall reading a more consistently hilarious romance other than The Hating Game.

Chase Taylor Hackett writes laugh-out-loud dialogue. I picked up the book because I was intrigued by Jeffrey, the angry-lawyer-sleeping-his-way-through-NYC. I have to admit that Jeffrey is still my favorite, but I did end up liking Theo a lot, mainly because he is such an impervious, amusing butthead (yes, I have a weakness for that).

Anyhow, the story takes place from the perspective of multiple POVs, but mainly Jeffrey, Theo, and Thomas. The story is fast-paced and you get into the characters heads pretty deeply as the author does a great job of making you root for them. There are some heavy moments and some important themes, but the book is not dark and depressing.

I think good comedy is the hardest thing to write, but Hackett kept me rolling on the floor even though I am most likely not his intended reader (a 50 year-old). And of course the ending was wonderfully fulfilling and romantic...

5 stars!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read And the next Thing You Know . . ..

Finished Reading (ebook Edition)
January 14, 2018 – Started Reading
January 14, 2018 – Shelved
January 14, 2018 –
22.0% "I'm laughing so hard my face hurts. Chase Taylor Hackett is freaking hilarious."
January 15, 2018 – Finished Reading
March 31, 2018 – Shelved (ebook Edition)