Ivie's Reviews > Rise of Fire

Rise of Fire by Sophie Jordan

liked it
bookshelves: fantasy

This review might contain spoilers for the first book, Reign of Shadows, but no spoilers for Rise of Fire

Let me start off this review by saying the first book is definitely better. I really recommend the first book, Rise of Fire.

Story World

Same as the first book, we find Luna and Fowler on their quest and lots of things happen that I can't quite get into without spoiling the book altogether. Lots of stuff goes down.

Plot

The plot follows the plight of Luna and Fowler as they settle into the fact that Fowler's father killed Luna's parents and she is the rightful heir. It shows their journey and the adventures they have seeking something more than the cards they've been dealt.

Characters

Same as the first book, with the introduction to characters from Lagonia, the ally nation to Relhok. They face a lot of adversity in their stay here. The other characters are an asset.

Chasan- I'll be honest. I hated him at first. I didn't like that he threatened the Luna/Fowler ship. As the story went on, I actually felt bad for him and found myself not hating him or even disliking him, but hoping that his life would be better.

Maris- She's terrible. She's naive, but not completely. She's entitled, thinking she deserves something. Let me tell you something about entitlement, Maris. No one deserves anything. I don't care who you are or what you think you deserve. You get what you work for. You don't work, you don't get anything. You work hard, you get when you need and what you want. That's life, cupcake. So, stop acting like the world belongs in your hands. Build yourself a bridge and get over it.

Tebald- Just as evil as Cullen, maybe even more brutal. Cold and bitter. Also, he's a pervert. He's old enough to be Luna's father, okay?

Content

There was a bit more cursing in here, but nothing major. A few d-words, the use of the word hell (though I don't know if I can consider it a bad word. I just prefer not to say it.) Quite a few uses of a seven letter b-word when referring to men. Some sexism, but almost over the top as if the author was trying to imply something of men looking at women as objects. Lots of making out. There was also a moment where I was confused if they were getting more intimate than making out, but I don't think they did. If it was, it wasn't described enough for me to get an idea if they were or not.

Word of advice to YA authors: When lovers start making out a lot, it becomes less romantic and more nasty.

A few kisses, even if they're a little more passionate, are fine.

Also, I didn't like how Luna was all, "I don't belong to anyone."

Girls, we want to feel like we belong to a guy we love. It isn't about being considered an object. It's about feeling loved, feeling wanted, by someone we love. Just as well, don't let anyone treat you like an object. You don't have to be some kick butt woman or some overly strong person. You can still be feminine and strong.

Overall

Overall, I did like the book. Three stars isn't because it was bad. Three stars is because I just don't feel I would reread this or be super excited about it. I felt the wrap up was a bit sudden and they the author just threw in what people would want to see. I'm totally fine with a wrap up being happy, but this one felt off. I don't think something bad should have happened, but there was just something that didn't fit.

In the end, I feel kind of indifferent.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rise of Fire.

January 14, 2018 – Shelved
January 14, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
January 14, 2018 – Shelved as: need-to-read
January 14, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
January 18, 2018 – Started Reading
January 18, 2018 –
page 0
0.0% "All other books are on hold because I NEED TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENS!!!!!!!

*is suspicious of disappointment*

January 20, 2018 –
page 81
27.55% "I just don't know how I feel. I know I despise Chasan. He's a jerk who violates women...but I feel like the author made him overly sexist. He could have been the villain I loved to hate, but some of what he says...

My feelings:

January 22, 2018 –
page 172
58.5% "And here comes the love triangle.

[image error]"
January 22, 2018 –
page 172
58.5% "And here comes the love triangle.

January 22, 2018 – Shelved as: fantasy
January 22, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Ivie I know, the gif doesn't fit well. But it's cute!! XD