Becca von Zweck's Reviews > Starry Eyes

Starry Eyes by Jenn Bennett

bookshelves: books-i-own, favorites, young-adult

Jenn Bennett has proven time and time again that she can write a truly remarkable and unforgettable story of romance and self discovery, and Starry Eyes is yet another excellent example that did not disappoint.

I love second chance romances and Bennett perfectly captured the ups and downs of mending a broken relationship. Zorie and Lennon's story was heartwarming and heartbreaking and hilarious.
The situation they find themselves thrust into really forces them to reevaluate the last year of their lives and the events that lead up to their destroyed friendship. As they navigate the dangerous and wonders of the wilderness, they find themselves navigating a fragile new romance as well.

I'm immediately drawn to any book that takes place in the great outdoors and I loved that Lennon is an expert in all things related to nature and camping and hiking. It made him so adorably geeky and lovable. Lennon is also Egpytian American, with two moms and a birth father who is Egyptian American and Muslim, so yay for a poc love interest! Not to mention he's also part goth with his eccentric style; all black clothes adorned with monsters and zombies and skulls, spiky fringed hair, and an obsession with graphic novels and reptiles. He's 'goth' without being too goth, if you know what I mean? No black lipstick or a face full of piercings, but goth in an adorably attractive way. Although, Zorie describes him as: "a poster boy for all things weird and macabre." She says so affectionately, even if she doesn't admit it right away. There was also the fact Lennon's moms own a sex shop that sits next door to Zorie's family's Acupuncture/massage therapy clinic. A fact which I found hilarious and original, even if was the main source of the rivalry between their two families.

I loved Zorie's passion for star gazing and astronomy and how it played into Zorie and Lennon's interaction with each other as they found themselves in the middle of the woods alone with only the stars and wild animals for company. I also appreciated seeing a main character who has to deal with hives that pop up in times of stress or in reaction to certain allergens-it seems to me like there's a lack of characters who have to deal with skin conditions in YA, so I found that to be realistic. Not to mention how sweet Lennon was about it-he never expressed disgust or anything other than concern, and still found her beautiful in-spite of her imperfect skin. Which is of course how it always should be! Most teens and young adults don't have perfectly clear skin and I think it's important to remember that.

Overall, Starry Eyes was engaging and emotional and perfectly paced from start to finish. I found myself crying along with both of them as the truth about the disastrous debacle that drove them apart came into light, and felt every emotion from humor to excitement to fear as they encountered the many obstacles of being lost in the wilderness and slowly fell back into their old banter and let their feelings for each other resurface.

Starry Eyes is a powerful tale of forgiveness and second chances and it met every one of my expectations. The bond between Zorie and Lennon was built on mutual respect, admiration, trust and passion. They had to go through a lot to reach their happy ending, but it was clear that they were meant to be together. I couldn't get enough of the two of them and I was devastated that there story had to eventually come to an end. Starry Eyes comes out in April, so add it to your tbr and mark your calendars with its release date!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Starry Eyes.

Started Reading