Graham's Reviews > VALIS

VALIS by Philip K. Dick

Oct 20, 2011

One of the most confounding and rewarding works by a consistently confounding and rewarding author. Semi-autobiographical account of alien intelligence beamed by lasers into the protagonist/author's mind? Check. Intimations of said intelligence permeating the fabric of human history? Check. Suggestions that ideas of time and space are illusory? Oh yeah.

It's easy to get sucked in, and the suggestion that much of this actually happened to Dick (by his own account at least) lends the book an intensity that a simple sci-fi novel couldn't attain on its own.

Incidentally, the information that Dick apparently received in 1974 (beamed from the star Sirius) was also apparently experienced by Robert Anton Wilson around the same time, a period where the Dogon people of Mali were concluding a years-long festival that celebrated their descent from occupants of Sirius. It's a wild universe out there.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read VALIS.

message 1: by Jason (new) - added it

Jason Nice write-up! I need to take another crack at this one.

Graham Jason wrote: "Nice write-up! I need to take another crack at this one."

Thanks man. And yeah, it was pretty killer. I need to read the sequels.

Also, if you're into the whole PKD/alien intelligence thing, there was a pretty interesting series of articles on that on this blog I write for sometimes.:
And Here