Aaron Gertler's Reviews > Stealing America's Future: How For-Profit Colleges Scam Taxpayers and Ruin Students' Lives

Stealing America's Future by David Halperin

The only book I read this year that made me want to drive to another state, walk into someone's office, and start yelling at them.

This book is short and repetitive, but that doesn't change the fact that David Halperin has found a worthy, underreported topic to be repetitive about.

The more books I read, the more I appreciate authors who pursue a single subject with passionate fury, even when that subject isn't often in the headlines. Halperin gets his facts straight and has spent a decade gathering heartbreaking stories from people who tried to work hard and follow the rules, and who were punished for their efforts, for the enrichment of people whose businesses pervert the idea of human progress and do very little to advance society (while taking 90% of their funding from your taxes). This broadside will enrage liberals and libertarians alike, and may expose four-year-college grads to a side of education they wouldn't see otherwise.

If you want a taste of Halperin's work before you invest your dollar, I recommend this especially powerful story (which made me, a naturally laconic fellow, as angry as I've been all year):

An excerpt of the story (the book contains many, many other stories like this):

"A librarian at a southern California campus of Everest College abruptly resigned last week, deeply upset that the for-profit school had admitted into its criminal justice program a 37-year-old man who appears to read at a third grade level. The man, who shakes, speaks haltingly, and may suffer from a developmental disability, told the librarian he expected to be a police officer after completing the program. But the librarian, Laurie McConnell, is certain he can never obtain such a job

[...]

In a followup email to the AG’s office on May 23, McConnell added, “After working with him extensively for the last 6 weeks, I have found that he cannot read beyond a 3rd grade level. We read some children’s books together, which were fairly difficult for him. He still believes he will be able to be a police officer when he finishes the CJ program. However, the other day he asked me how long school is. He doesn’t understand how the terms work.”"

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Stealing America's Future.

Finished Reading