Optimist ♰King's Wench♰'s Reviews > The Price of Honor

The Price of Honor by Aleatha Romig

DNF 35%- no rating

I feel like maybe I read this wrong considering the wealth of 4-5 star reviews but I cannot go on.

I'm going to hurt myself if I keep narcoleptically passing out due to this written ambien. I have to think of myself.

Maybe it gets incredible after 35%. Maybe I'm defective. Maybe I'm missing out on something truly extraordinary, but if I'm not invested by the 35% mark...

I'm not even sure if this book can be categorized as a romance. It struck me as more focused on Oren making a name for himself within NYC's Cosa Nostra in the 80s.

He's a low level mobster who falls for Angelina, the niece of Carmine Costello, head of the family. He has to prove himself. Blah, blah, blah. She's butthurt because he's never around due to his ladder climbing/ass-kissing. Blah, blah, blah. They have a big wedding. They have a baby. He feels bad because he's never there for her. Blah, blah, blah. People get popped. There's money laundering. Oren's always worried for the safety of his Angel...

Maybe if I'd been anticipating a mob story things would've worked out better but I was laboring under the impression this was a romance. The romance was a little too mundane and subdued for my tastes and the pacing is glacial.

My record with slice of life is hit or miss and this was definitely in the latter category, so bear that in mind if you're considering it. There's nothing wrong with Romig's writing; it's more the story arch that doesn't suit me. As always my opinions are my own and YMMV.

An ARC was provided by the publisher.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Price of Honor.

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)

Alex ✰ Comets and Comments ✰ Lovely review, cupcake... sorry it was a bit of a bust - hope your next read is better, love ❤️

Optimist ♰King's Wench♰ LOL! IDK about lovely but I thank you for the kind words, Alex. ;)

message 3: by Annery (new)

Annery I see you're feeling generous.

Optimist ♰King's Wench♰ Generous? Me?

message 5: by Lost in a Book (new)

Lost in a Book *snort*

message 6: by Annery (new)

Annery Optimist ♰King's Wench♰ & MANTIES Champion wrote: "Generous? Me?"

Yep. That whole "it's me, not you" is sweet. *wink*

Optimist ♰King's Wench♰ Have you looked on the book page? I mean, there's nothing but 4 & 5 star reviews.

#defective

message 8: by Annery (new)

Annery Optimist ♰King's Wench♰ & MANTIES Champion wrote: "Have you looked on the book page? I mean, there's nothing but 4 & 5 star reviews.

#defective"

I did. But I can tell from the blurb that it's not for me and that if I did read it I'd be way less generous.

message 9: by Lost in a Book (new)

Lost in a Book Optimist ♰King's Wench♰ & MANTIES Champion wrote: "Have you looked on the book page? I mean, there's nothing but 4 & 5 star reviews.

#defective"

*saves you a chair at dissenters table* 🍹

message 10: by Annery (new)

Annery Let’s get comfy 🍸

Optimist ♰King's Wench♰ LOL! You guys.

*soft punches your arms*

Queen J Agree. This is slow, and not in the slow burn good way. But I can't seem to put it down, because I feel like it has to be building to something.

Optimist ♰King's Wench♰ Queen J wrote: "Agree. This is slow, and not in the slow burn good way. But I can't seem to put it down, because I feel like it has to be building to something."

I hope it does & I'm sure you're right but... I just cannot. Then again, I have the attention span of hummingbird so...