Katy's Reviews > Knight Moves

Knight Moves by John G. Hartness

Oct 20, 2011

bookshelves: ebook, librarything-win
Recommended to Katy by: LibraryThing
Recommended for: fans of urban fantasy, the series

Book Info: Genre: Urban Fantasy
Reading Level: adult
Recommended for: Fans of urban fantasy
Trigger Warnings: violence, killing

My Thoughts: This third book in the Black Knight Chronicles is a darker book than the previous ones. Jimmy and Greg discover they are not, in fact, the only vampires in town, and they meet a werewolf, which makes Greg very excited. The characters are developed quite a bit more in this book, although the action is still very fast and furious.

In an almost comedic continuity error, the reflection that was there in the first book and gone in the second book is back in this third book. Hartness really needs to write this stuff down somewhere and keep track of it! Also, when they pull over Bobby with Abigail in the ambulance, it specifically says that he was running with lights but no siren, but not a page later Sabrina is “yell[ing] over the blaring siren”. Really sloppy editing.

However, fans of the series won't want to miss this book. I have no idea if there will be any more books in this series. This one was written a couple years ago, and the shorts compilation that I do not yet have was published a year ago. An omnibus edition of the first three books is scheduled for publication from Bell Bridge Books, and I found a note from 2012 saying “early 2013”, but that deadline has passed with no further words. Still, I have enjoyed this series immensely (and it's not quite finished—still have that novella to read), so I hope they'll be out soon. I know I'll be watching for any new stuff. If you like urban fantasies, be sure to check this one out.

Series Information: Knight Moves is the third book in the Black Knight Chronicles.
Book 1: Hard Day's Knight, review linked here where formatting allowed
Book 2: Back in Black, review linked here where formatting allowed
Novella 1: Movie Knight, review linked here where formatting allowed
Novella 2: Black Magic Woman
There is also a book of short stories called Knight (un)Life - Black Knight Shorts Vol. 1, which I do not currently have. He has a number of other books, including his Bubba Monster Hunter books, a number of which I currently have as well.

Disclosure: I received a copy of this book through the LibraryThing Members Giveaway program in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own.

Synopsis: In the third installment of The Black Knight Chronicles, vampire private investigators Jimmy Black and Greg Knightwood find another vampire (or more) playing in their sandbox, and the boys are NOT happy about it.

While tracking down the killer of a young college student, they encounter boobytraps, defenestration, coeds, a hirsute bounty hunter with a moon fetish and a bad attitude, and worst of all—game night at a comic shop!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Knight Moves.

October 20, 2011 – Shelved
October 20, 2011 – Shelved as: ebook
October 20, 2011 – Shelved as: librarything-win
June 23, 2013 – Started Reading
June 23, 2013 –
3.0% "Wow quite a start!"
June 23, 2013 –
51.0% "Okay, so in the first book they could see their reflections, in the 2nd they could not. Now in book 3, they have reflections again. Dude, you need to keep this stuff straight! Also, an ambulance running with lights but no sirens has sirens blaring one page later... WTF?? Sloppy editing. This is a darker story overall, but I'm still enjoying the series."
June 24, 2013 – Finished Reading