Giselle's Reviews > dancergirl

dancergirl by Carol M. Tanzman

Oct 20, 2011

bookshelves: arc, ebook
Read from November 06 to 08, 2011

Oh wow! For a book that I had no expectations, I ended up really enjoying it! I love when that happens. The creepy premise is what made me want to read this. A girl being stalked because of an online video - count me in!

dancergirl (very hard to not put a capital D *twitch*) starts off smoothly and brings us into the life of Alicia - Ali - who is just a regular girl with a passion for dancing. Ali is your average high school girl who thrives on popularity. Which is why she's fine with the video that's been posted online by a classmate, of her dancing at a concert. What she doesn't expect, is when another video is uploaded of her dancing… in her room, alone. I really enjoyed Ali's personality. She wasn't perfect and she makes some bad decisions, but that's what makes her real. I did have a problem with her having no qualms about the first video getting online, though. Sure it was taken from a classmate she knows, but he never asked if it was ok to post it online, and she just shrugs it off, then agrees to do more! See what I mean about her bad decisions? Videos online = stalker magnet! Everyone knows this. This was, however, the only issue I had with her character.

As I'm sure you guessed, there is a lot of dancing in this story. Ali has a deep love for dance; her life revolves around it. I was never as much into it as Ali, but I love dance as well. I've taken classes for a few years and performed at a couple of shows. So I could really relate to the dancing and the rush of performing. I got stage fright right along with Ali - I could feel it! Those part were a lot of fun for me and added some lighthearted moments to the otherwise anxious mood of the book.

Now on to the best part - the stalker plot. All throughout the book I felt chills for Ali and feared for her. It's so incredibly easy to imagine all of this happening, that it got me very unsettled. Not knowing when someone's watching or what part of your privacy is being taken from you - that's incredibly discomforting. I didn't find it hard to guess who the stalker was. I do read and watch a lot of suspense stories like this though so it's hard to surprise me anymore. Regardless, I still thought it was a fantastic thriller with a realistic setting and gripping suspense. I'm curious what the rest of the series will entail since this one ends like a stand alone. But I'm sure I won't be disappointed. Carol is a great author and I absolutely recommend you give dancergirl *twitch* a try.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read dancergirl.

11/07/2011
33.0% "With no idea what to expect, I'm finding this pretty good!"

Comments (showing 1-5)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Giselle I'm almost done and I'm really enjoying it! I'm curious as to who it is!! I have a few theories. I hope it's not lame.

Juhina haha i finished it and trust me, its not lame. very unexpected. This is a big reason why i liked this book.

Rida (Raindrop Reflections) wow, this one sounds really cool. I'm adding it to my to-read list!

Kim (Sliced Open Reviews) HEHE I totally get the *twitch* too! I think I have actually yelled at the computer too :)

♥Rachel♥ I really want to capitalize the d in dancergirl as well! I think I did! Lol! I loved the stalker plot too. I'm a huge fan of mystery and suspense and this was a great one even. Excellent review Giselle. :)