Ivy's Reviews > Social Intercourse

Social Intercourse by Greg  Howard

bookshelves: coming-soon-18

In what The Hate U Give did, showing that racial prejudice still exists in America, Social Intercourse does portray the homophobia of the South. That said, this isn't a sad book. It's a Parent Trapesque rom-com with reality checks dropped ever so often. Social Intercourse was a good read, and definitely worth it, but the one thing I didn't really like was the main characters. They were selfish, judgemental, rude, and entitled. While they did have their good moments, most of the time I just wanted them to go away. I did love the secondary characters, the friends and parents. They were silly, and sometimes cliche, but I liked that they seemed to be just as fleshed out as the MCs. This book goes into the category of "I Read It Cause It's Gay, I Probably Wouldn't Have Read It For Any Other Reason." If you too have a theoretical category like that, you'll love it! If not, do whatever you want.

Full Review: https://bookpeopleteens.wordpress.com...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Social Intercourse.

January 12, 2018 – Shelved
July 2, 2018 – Started Reading
page 0
0.0% "I hate the cover of this book so much I was actually embarrassed to check it out from the library so I ignored the librarian waving me over and speed-walked to the do it yourself checkout with the cover flat against my stomach."
page 3
0.94% "The gay one's name is Beckett no. AND THE OTHER ONE's name is JAXON with an X please no. This may yet be the dumbest and gayest book I've ever read and I've read a lot of dumb gay books."
page 50
15.63% "This book isn't as bad as I thought it would be, which is good. I hate Beckett with all of my heart, but Jaxon is cool, and the plot doesn't suck. It's pretty Parent Trapesque, but I can guarantee these guys aren't gonna be brothers. God, that sounds gross even to type. I really love the nerdy parents, even if their hooking up scared me. I actually want to keep reading, instead of dissolving into a pile of cringe."
page 99
30.94% "This book is actually kind of funny, in a dumb gay book way. The characters are strong and unique, which is nice. Still, it is pretty dumb and pretty gay. I'm gonna keep reading, cause I actually like this book. It's not perfect, but it's enjoyable."
page 158
49.38% "The scenes in this book seem like they're slowing ticking off a list of "thing gay kids do", but whatever. I'm always down for overenthusiastic parents of queer kids, so the adults in this book are probably my favorite part. Other than that, I' d really like the plot to get giong soon."
July 2, 2018 – Finished Reading