Sandy Brusin's Reviews > The Art of Death: Writing the Final Story

The Art of Death by Edwidge Danticat

38620585

I think the audience for this collection of essays is probably others writers like Edwidge Danticat in that she shares and discusses remarkable passages from authors like Toni Morrison, Albert Camus, Joan Didion, William Faulkner, Gabriel Garcia Marquez, and Thornton Wilder among others who make death real even though we can't really "know" death until we die. Danticat's analysis offers those who would try to write about this instruction and purpose. As Toni Morrison says: "We die. That may be the meaning of life. But we do language. That may be the measure of our lives."

This may sound like a morbid book, but for me it was uplifting. Here's why. Near the end Danticat writes: "...I used to tell myself that writing is a kind of prayer, that silence can be prayer, that even children are prayers,living and growing prayers, that love is the most powerful prayer of all." This book is one of the most prayerful, uplifting books I have ever read. It helped me feel close again to the people I have loved, who gave me life, but are only alive now in my dreams, in my memories, in my prayers.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Art of Death.

January 12, 2018 – Started Reading