Amy's Reviews > A Song of Home: A Novel of the Swing Era

A Song of Home by Susie Finkbeiner

F 50x66

In this third book of following Pearl Spence’s young life, we pick up shortly after the second book left off. Pearl is in a new town, new school, new home, her mother has left the family so the only constants she has is her father and Ray who came with them from Oklahoma to live with them. Pearl has gone through a lot, especially for a young girl. I could understand her wanting to find some happiness and stability after the tragic circumstances of the first two books. I like that she has found a respite in the library and the books she begins to read and in Opal and dancing.

There are some heavy topics in this story and they deal with depression and prejudice. I am glad that Pearl’s father, although very hurt by his wife, continues to be a strong steadfast character and though it was not easy for him, he chooses to love and keep his promises and vows to his estranged wife. Mama is not quite the same person she was in the first book. I was sad to see this change in her; however grief has a way of changing people for the good or the bad. I think the author showed a very real picture of the damage that grief, shame, and blame can take on a person’s mental health and on their life choices. Sometimes this causes loved ones to ask, where is our loved one and can they come back home?

I found this book, this whole series a thought provoking lyrical tale of a young girl coming of age in less than ideal circumstances. I would really like to see a novel written about Pearl all grown up.

I was provided a copy of this novel from the publisher. I was not required to post a positive review and all views and opinions are my own.

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Song of Home.

Started Reading