Brooke's Reviews > Love, Hate & Other Filters

Love, Hate & Other Filters by Samira Ahmed

liked it

Love, Hate and Other Filters follows Maya as she deals with cute boys, her future and then a terrorist attack happens and the main suspect shares Maya's last name. This causes Islamophobia to be directed towards Maya and her family.

I enjoyed this book. It was a cute, quick read with swoon-worthy characters, gorgeous scenery and an important message. Throughout the book it tackles what it is like to be a Muslim in today's america. I loved how the author took Maya's hobby of film-making and used the theme of filters and cinematography to express how Maya was feeling.
Maya begins her story with the phrase 'destiny sucks' and this is a theme throughout the book. This theme is also shown through a mantra one of the characters continuously uses, 'carpe diem'. Maya uses this phrase in times when her future seems destined and out of her control to try and make things go how she wants them to go. I enjoyed how the author used the first sentence of the story to be a theme that follows throughout the book.

This book is also told from two points of view. Maya's and the bombers. Maya's is told in first person which connects you to her. It makes you more invested in her story and who she is. The bombers point of view, it told in third person, which makes you feel more distanced from this character. This was done very cleverly on the authors part, as it influenced how you related to the protagonists of the two stories.

Another great thing about this book is how it introduced me to Indian culture. I don't think I've ever read a book with an Indian main character before so this one really was an eye opener on what it is like to grow up in an Indian family and I loved it.

One thing that dissapointed me about this book is that I felt it concentrated more on the romance and less on the Islamophobia and although this book was impactful I wanted more of it. I have also read that people felt like the protagonists religion was only brought up when someone else brought it up through things like a hate crime. I am not Muslim and I know this book is own voices so I'm not going to judge this aspect too much as I know it is coming from personal experience. However, I will link an own voices review that discusses this.

Another negative about this book is that Maya's friends, Justin, Monica and Mike, seemed to pop up randomly towards the end of the book. Violet was an amazing companion who I loved all the way through this book, however, I would have liked more from these other friends and their relationship with Maya.

Overall, this book was a great read. I was continuously wishing things to go the right way for our main characters and when they didn't I was left heartbroken. It holds an important message about 'love not hate' and sticking together as one through times of hardship and that is why I gave this book four out of five stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Love, Hate & Other Filters.

January 12, 2018 – Started Reading