megs_bookrack's Reviews > The Outsider

The Outsider by Stephen King

bookshelves: stephen-king-read

This was my favorite book of 2018
and I never wrote an actual review for it. This haunts me.

Am I the only person this happens to?

In an effort to appease some of my guilt, let me get a few thoughts down:

I really enjoyed the topics explored in this book. Particularly, the idea that sometimes the court of public opinion is much more unforgiving and harsh than any court of law.

I also enjoyed how King showed vignettes of various characters, all flawed, in the town where our drama unfolds. He described so well the way the main event affected various people like when a stone gets thrown in a pond. It created ripples spreading out and enveloping many lives. I loved this. It reminded me a bit of the way things roll out in Needful Things.

And of course, most of all, I loved my second favorite character from The Bill Hodges trilogy making an appearance!

I knew it was going to happen and I waited and waited and waited and then...

Reunited and it feels so good!!!

The supernatural elements were also fantastic in my opinion. There were classic King scenes that gave me absolute chills and left me wanting to leave the light on when I went to bed.

I would definitely recommend reading The Bill Hodges trilogy first. If you do and you don't like it, this may not be the book for you. Maybe. I don't know. I'm on the fence. I think for people who are huge fans of that trilogy, it makes this book extra special.

I suppose you could read this on its own, I just can't attest to what your experience will be. For me, half the thrill was getting a character I thought I would never see again back in my life.

I know I will end up reading this again someday. I love to reread King books. Most likely if I do read it again, I will read the entire BH trilogy with this one added on the end.

Original: This officially wins my 'Favorite Book I Read in 2018' prize. Forever may it reign.

So, this sort of counts as a review right?
I annotated and everything but how do you review perfection?
Just, how?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Outsider.

January 12, 2018 – Shelved
January 12, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
May 22, 2018 – Started Reading
May 23, 2018 –
page 40
May 23, 2018 –
page 76
13.55% "Something is happening here...🤔😞"
May 26, 2018 –
page 132
23.53% "Character development is so strong- ohhh man, I am loving this so far!"
May 31, 2018 –
page 150
June 5, 2018 –
page 171
June 11, 2018 –
page 202
36.01% "What the actual fuck? 😯😯🙁😞😟😖"
June 26, 2018 –
page 232
June 30, 2018 –
page 272
48.48% "Creepy AF. 😨"
July 5, 2018 –
page 291
51.87% "Yassssssssss! Finally got there! One of my favorite King characters has nade her appearance 💖💖💖"
July 5, 2018 –
page 341
July 19, 2018 –
page 384
68.45% "This is a moment where I realize I am reading a book so slowly because I don't want it to end 🐢🐢🐢"
July 20, 2018 –
page 411
73.26% "I love you, Holly 💖🦄"
July 25, 2018 –
page 432
77.01% "Holly is my sweet precious cupcake and i just want to protect her from all harm. Is that so bad!? 🤔😢😢"
August 1, 2018 –
page 470
83.78% "I am seriously reading this soooo slowly because I never want it to end! Do you think we'll ever get another book in this series? What are the rumors? 🐢🤔💖"
August 4, 2018 – Shelved as: stephen-king-read
August 4, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)

megs_bookrack Jen wrote: "How’s this one coming along?" It is so good! Loving the feel of it - I hear there are Bill Hodges trilogy (Mr. Mercedes) connections (which is my favorite trilogy incidentally) but I haven't gotten to them yet.

message 2: by Jan (new)

Jan Looking forward to seeing your review on this-I hope it's good!! And thanks for the FR-look forward to chatting more books with you :)

megs_bookrack Thank you, Jan! It's so great, so far!!!

Rose I am currently reading this one as well

megs_bookrack Rose wrote: "I am currently reading this one as well" It's so good, right!? I love the Bill Hodges trilogy so so much so this is like an added bonus gift to that series!

message 6: by Adina (new)

Adina Sometimes you just need to say what you feel.

megs_bookrack Adina wrote: "Sometimes you just need to say what you feel." 😁😂 true! I love it just seems like such a short review 😁😂

message 8: by Holly (new)

Holly  B Glad it was a 5 star!

megs_bookrack Holly wrote: "Glad it was a 5 star!" most of his are for me! 🤗⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

message 10: by Tammy (new)

Tammy On my TBR pile!

megs_bookrack Tammy wrote: "On my TBR pile!"

message 12: by Tammy (new)

Tammy megs_bookrack wrote: "Tammy wrote: "On my TBR pile!"
Awesome! I hope you love it and I hope you have read The Bill Hodges Trilogy already ;)"

Never heard of the Bill Hodges trilogy. Will have to check it out.

megs_bookrack Tammy wrote: "megs_bookrack wrote: "Tammy wrote: "On my TBR pile!"

Never heard of the Bill Hodges trilogy. Will have to c..."
I would call this a companion novel to that series. It is not directly related but has some of the same characters and completely spoils the trilogy. It starts with Mr. Mercedes :)

message 14: by Jenaro (new) - added it

Jenaro It’s on my list! Can’t wait to read it!

megs_bookrack Jenaro wrote: "It’s on my list! Can’t wait to read it!" Yayee! I hope you enjoy it as much as I did, Jenaro!

message 16: by Dita (new)

Dita I know exactly what you mean! I sometimes worry my words aren't sufficient to express all my feels so I just don't write!

megs_bookrack Dita wrote: "I know exactly what you mean! I sometimes worry my words aren't sufficient to express all my feels so I just don't write!" YES! Especially with King books, for me, because I just idolize him so much. xo

message 18: by Helen (new) - added it

Helen Power Sometimes I worry that when I write a review for a book I love I won't do it justice!

megs_bookrack Helen wrote: "Sometimes I worry that when I write a review for a book I love I won't do it justice!" EXACTLY! Like, what can little ole' me say that could possibly represent the glorious nature of this book?!?!

message 20: by Kat (new) - added it

Kat Valentine Excellent review megs!!💖💋

megs_bookrack Kat wrote: "Excellent review megs!!💖💋"Thank you, love! xo

Barbara I agree megs. Good book. 😊💙🌹

megs_bookrack Barbara wrote: "I agree megs. Good book. 😊💙🌹" It sure was...I need to read it again someday. I would like to reread the whole Bill Hodges trilogy again + this, back-to-back. That could be really fun!