Cait • A Page with a View's Reviews > Elantris

Elantris by Brandon Sanderson

liked it
bookshelves: high-fantasy

3.5 stars and I'm so conflicted whether to round up or down. I'd round down if I'm comparing this to Mistborn or Warbreaker, but then it's still SO much better than a lot of my other 4 star reads. Ughhhhh

Anyways, Brandon Sanderson's worldbuilding was as phenomenal as ever! I just love how much depth and thought he puts into his religions. The political science major in me geeks out over everything, too.

This story did drag a bit at times for me, though, and it's not my favorite book of his. I just wasn't super into the whole "prison city for zombie lepers" part... and that's kind of a key aspect of the book. I think I was really only into like 1/3 of the POVs (Sarene's). It started to feel like a bit more of a task to get through than anything fun.

So this was still a well-developed story, but I personally wouldn't recommend it as the first Brandon Sanderson book to try. I was a lot more invested in Warbreaker. Buuuut everyone has different taste and I know this is a favorite book for many of my friends!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Elantris.

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)

Michael Campbell This was my first book by Mr. Sanderson, and I liked it but it didn't compel me to read more of his works! I have read The Emperor's Soul which was better, but I haven't taken the dive into another of his series yet.

Cait • A Page with a View Michael wrote: "This was my first book by Mr. Sanderson, and I liked it but it didn't compel me to read more of his works! I have read The Emperor's Soul which was better, but I haven't taken the dive into another..."

I'd be interested to hear how you like it if you do decide to read more! His other books are similar to this, but at the same time I doubt I would've continued if I had started here...

Ryan McCredie This was my first book by him as well... It wasn't his best but it did prompt me to try a few others. The next series I picked up was Mistborn, and that prompted The Stormlight Archive. If you can find it in you to try another, you'll probably get sucked into everything else. A lot of his stories are best in class in my opinion.

Michael Campbell Cait • A Page with a View wrote: "Michael wrote: "This was my first book by Mr. Sanderson, and I liked it but it didn't compel me to read more of his works! I have read The Emperor's Soul which was better, but I haven't taken the d..."

I'll undoubtedly give him another try eventually! I've read entire Fantasy series, that I just thought were mediocre but needed to know the ending all the same, lol. Perhaps Stormlight Archive, as I own the first two in hardback already!

Ryan wrote: "This was my first book by him as well... It wasn't his best but it did prompt me to try a few others. The next series I picked up was Mistborn, and that prompted The Stormlight Archive. If you can ..."

A lot of people rave about Sanderson, so I'm sure I'll give him another go before too long!

Cait • A Page with a View @Ryan I really enjoyed the Mistborn series! But Warbreaker is definitely my favorite so far 👌🏻