Andrienne's Reviews > The Silver Kiss

The Silver Kiss by Annette Curtis Klause

May 19, 2008

Read in May, 2008

All I can say is...Wow! This is what Twilight wanted to be, I think. It was published in 1990 and so the themes are a bit dated (no emails, cellphones etc.), but it didn't rob the story of anything. I finished the slim novel in a day and a half. I couldn't help but compare the two characters with those of "Twilight." The heroine, Zoe, was flawed and insecure but focused and honest. The vampire, Simon, was "beautiful" but his physical attributes were not brought up every few pages. He was dignified and in love with Zoe, but his life was not just about Zoe. You could feel their connection through their shared loneliness. They don't depend on each other because the girl needs saving and the guy plays the role of a knight. The author was able to set everything in place so that the reader is convinced of their bond. The story flowed effortlessy, never bogged by the themes it discussed: death, family, loneliness...It was a perfect read for a gloomy day. It's quite rare for a novel to make an impression on me (there were tears).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Silver Kiss.

04/22/2016 marked as: read

Miriam Thanks you! I could not understand why everyone treated Twilight as if it is were innovative.

If you like this you may also enjoy "Companions of the Night".

Andrienne Miriam wrote: "Thanks you! I could not understand why everyone treated Twilight as if it is were innovative.

If you like this you may also enjoy "Companions of the Night"."

Thanks Miriam, I will check that book you recommended. Sorry for the super late response!

Andrienne I read the book you recommended and I posted a review. I wonder what you think of it?

Sydnee R. Andrienne I agree with you on how you said that the silver kiss is like the book twilight.I personally think that this is true because of the way simon and zoe are so alike

message 5: by KT (new) - added it

KT Condor is it a series or just this one

Andrienne @california, Silver Kiss is a standalone book, no series unfortunately.

Afke Agree with you 100%. Just finished Twilight and drew the same parallels. Not saying no-one should write vampire-themed YA novels anymore, but this one definitely sets a high standard which Twilight amongst others doesn't reach.

message 8: by Frosted (new)

Frosted Butterfly Can I read a freaken review without someone comparing it to twilight.

message 9: by Amanda (new) - added it

Amanda Fontes Based on your review, may I suggest Blood Like Poison, and Fashionably Dead? They are both different kinds of Vampire YA's, that I really loved. The first is set in high school, but although it has a few cliches it has a very cool twist (at least in my opinion). As for the second the main character is in her 20s I think, it has a lot of mature content, some which I find unnecessary, but that plot is very different from what I've read so far in vampire love story books, I mean she doesn't need no saving, this girl saves herself and still has time to be extremely sarcastic.
Just a suggestion :)