Brenda's Reviews > The Tattooist of Auschwitz

The Tattooist of Auschwitz by Heather   Morris

When Lale (Ludwig) Eisenberg volunteered to work for the Germans so his family would be safe, he had no idea what it would entail. He soon found out!

This is the story of a man who did all he could to survive. His arrival in Auschwitz on 23rd April 1942 and then Birkenau was one of shock – his determination to leave alive would see him through the darkest and most tragic of days. Days when he lost friends through the brutality of the Germans; days when he managed a small kindness, like pass over a crust of bread to someone else who was starving.

Lale’s job as the Tattooist (Tätowierer) of Auschwitz was one which gave him relative freedom – he gave others hope. When he held the hand of a young woman to etch the number on her arm, he was taken by her immediately. When he found out her name - Gita – he was determined to help her in any way he could. Lale and Gita met whenever they could and gradually love formed between them.

Three years of Lale and Gita’s lives were stolen – three years where the horrors were unimaginable…

Based on the true story of Lale and Gita Sokolov who settled in Australia on 29th July 1949, happily raising a son, Gary, The Tattooist of Auschwitz by Aussie author Heather Morris is a heartbreaking, tragic yet uplifting story of the Holocaust and the atrocities that surrounded it – and those who survived. Two Jews from Slovakia who thought no more of being Jewish than the Parisiennes did of being French. It was what it was. Lale’s motto was always “Save the one, save the world” and he lived by it. An outstanding rendition of a terribly dark time in our history, it’s a time that should never be forgotten.

The Author’s Note, the Afterword and Additional Information, along with the exceptional photos of Lale and Gita at the end of the book, add to it and complete the journey. The author has done an exceptional job and her time with Lale as he told his story, shows that. Highly recommended.

With thanks to Bonnier Publishing via NetGalley for my digital ARC to read and review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Tattooist of Auschwitz.

January 12, 2018 – Shelved
February 2, 2018 – Shelved as: 5000-books
February 2, 2018 – Shelved as: own-read
February 2, 2018 – Shelved as: read-on-kindle
February 2, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)

Wendy Great review Brenda! This is on my list to read soon

Brenda So incredibly well written Wendy :) Thanks! I hope you get as much out of it as I did :)

Holly  B Nice review Brenda!

Angela M Brenda, a great review !

message 5: by Rob (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rob Great review Brenda. Sounds fascinating. It's now on my TBRL.

Brenda Thanks Holly, Angela and Rob :) I'll keep an eye out for your thoughts Rob.

message 7: by Lea (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lea Davey Lovely review Brenda, I can't wait to read this one! Lea

Brenda Thanks Lea 😊 It's outstanding in my opinion.

message 9: by Lea (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lea Davey Everyone is saying that. Waiting for holidays to read it and The Trauma Cleaner.

Brenda Happy reading Lea ☺