Jennifer's Reviews > The Job of the Wasp

The Job of the Wasp by Colin Winnette

F 50x66

did not like it

I can't help but wonder "What did I miss?" as I look through the reviews on Goodreads and elsewhere. The book is about an orphanage for young boys and a mysterious set of deaths (accidents? murders? suicides?) and potentially supernatural perpetrators. It seems like it's Lord of the Flies-esque at some parts--a Jack/Ralph battle emerges a bit between the narrator and Anders/Fry. But it's quickly the case that Fry is the leader, so there ends that direct parallel. It's hard to say this is a consideration of groupthink or (im)morality, and I'm not sure what else to make of this. When I wonder "What did I miss?" it's not just a question of why did people like this story it's also, what did I miss in the story? I can't really figure out how this is a story. The only explanation I got from reading reviews was that this story was Poe-esque (it certainly was only Dickensian to the extent that it was set in an orphanage and written with narration and dialogue we wouldn't use today) in that the book ended abruptly right when the story seemed to get good. Here, it wasn't that it had gotten good right as it was ending. What I mean more is that it got to the point where it could have gotten good. There was some explanation from a character of things that might have been going on and then it could have gotten good. But we got no explanation of what has happened.

All I can say is we likely had an unreliable narrator, but with so many events that made no sense, and no illuminating explanations or resolution whatsoever I could not come up with an idea of what was the alternative to what this narrator was saying.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Job of the Wasp.

January 11, 2018 – Started Reading
January 11, 2018 – Shelved
January 16, 2018 –
page 96
January 17, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Rebecca I’m with you. You bring up a lot of the same things I felt when I finished reading!