William Matthies's Reviews > Killers of the Flower Moon: The Osage Murders and the Birth of the FBI

Killers of the Flower Moon by David Grann

Much for you to learn here starting with understanding a little about the Osage Indian Tribe. I had a (very small) headstart with that. A neighbor of mine is 50% Osage and the fascinating story of his life was chronicled in a biography entitled, "Indian: The Life of Osage Waterman Wayne Penn-Schafer" (Raymond Press.)

This book tells the story of not just Osage "headrights" (entitlements to compensation for the oil found on their land) but even more important the untold number of Osage tribe members who were murdered by those wishing that wealth for themselves. I wish I could tell you how many rather than just saying "untold". I wish anyone could. The fact is no one knows for certain how large a number that is. Author Grann describes the then fledging FBI's investigation that led to solving 24 cases, however, the real number, including unsolved, is likely in the hundreds.

Reading, I often thought about how this sort of thing only happens in 2nd and 3rd world countries, not the US. But in many ways, Oklahoma "justice" in the 1920's, that at the local and state level, was no better than what we know to be true today in countries whose justice system is about anything but justice. At least for Indians.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Killers of the Flower Moon.

Finished Reading