Miranda Reads's Reviews > Winter

Winter by Marissa Meyer

bookshelves: reimagined-fairytales, ya-series, 2018-finer-books-club-reading-chall

Fantastic end to a great series

This series actually got better with every book. If you are on the fence after reading Cinder, I urge you to keep going.

Each book follows a different couple but we still have the previous couples running around throughout the story arc. This time we follow Winter (Snow White) and Jacin (the Huntsman). Despite having no royal blood, Winter is the Lunar Princess. Like most Lunars, Winter has the gift of manipulation. Unlike most Lunars, she would rather lose her mind than manipulate her citizens.

Winter's stepmother, the Lunar Queen (Levanna), set her sites on Emperor Kai (the Emperor of Commonwealth (essentially China)). Once she has Kai, and his country, in her clutches then she can finally start her bid for world dominance AND get rid of Princess Winter (permanently). But first, Queen Levanna must marry the young emperor.
(Aside: Why Kai? He is literally half her age and his only contribution is of a damsel in distress. What was the point of all those tutors if all he manages to do is almost get married and kidnapped?)
(Aside to the Aside: I really liked how all the guys (for once) were the ones being rescued in a fairytale)

Cinder and her merry gang of modern fairytale friends must find a way to stop this wedding and save their planet. Told from alternating perspectives, we follow each couple - Cinder (Cinderella) and Kai (the Prince); Scarlet (Little Red Riding Hood) and Wolf (the Big Bad Wolf); Cress (Rapunzel) and Thorne (the Prince) - almost equally throughout the book.

As before, Cress and Thorne are my absolute favorite couple - I just adore her bravery in the face of crippling shyness. And Thorne's charisma and adoration towards Cress just cinch this couple. Every moment where they got closer to the big kiss had me clutching the book and crossing my fingers. Wolf was by far my favorite character and finally we get his perspective - there's something so neat about getting the "monster" point of view. Wholly refreshing.

There was one thing that really frustrated me about this whole series:
description
Seriously. If you are going to kill someone - MAKE SURE THEY'RE ACTUALLY DEAD! Half the plot was someone finding out that an assassination didn't work and the supposed-to-be-dead character was wreaking havoc elsewhere.

Overall - this was a fun end to a thrilling series. I'm really looking forward to the companion novel Stars Above!

Audiobook Comments
--Rather well-read by Rebecca Soler. She certainly had a way with words. Winter's sing-songy voice was fabulous and Scarlet's french accent was rather good. Though, if both Cinder and Kai came from the Commonwealth, why did they sound so American? I would assume there should have been at least a faint Asian accent.

The Finer Books Club - 2018 Reading Challenge: A retelling of a classic

Blog | Instagram | Twitter

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Winter.

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)

Sarah So glad you liked it. This series is in my top 10 for sure!!

Karen Fabulous review! Definitely one of my favourite series

message 3: by Diane (new)

Diane Great review, Miranda!

Miranda Reads Sarah - totally! I'm curious, what's your fave series?

Karen - thank you so much

Diane - thanks! Glad you liked it!

Sarah Miranda wrote: "Sarah - totally! I'm curious, what's your fave series?

Karen - thank you so much

Diane - thanks! Glad you liked it!"

same as 99% of everyone elses on this site, harry potter! HAHA. or the shades of magic series. it's a tie. :(

what about you?

Miranda Reads I've never heard of shades of magic. What's that one about?

So far, my top is HP, but I really enjoyed the Raven Boys series. My friend really loved Acotar (the A Court of Thorns and Roses) so I just picked it up.

Sarah Miranda wrote: "I've never heard of shades of magic. What's that one about?

Ooh, I've been seeing a lot of of the Raven Boys series on my dashboard and I've been wanting to read it for a while. And I read ACOTAR a while back but spoiled it for myself (oops) and didn't like how SJM went on with it so I abandoned it. I'm excited to hear your thoughts on it, though.

Miranda Reads I'll let you know when I get more into the series. I have only read a ch or two so far :) Happy reading!!

Sarah Miranda wrote: "I'll let you know when I get more into the series. I have only read a ch or two so far :) Happy reading!!"

Looking forward to it!! Happy reading to you as well!

message 10: by Sandra (new)

Sandra Fantastic review Miranda! :)

Miranda Reads Thank you Sandra!

RyanneAndHerBooks Such an amazing series 💙

Miranda Reads totally agree! I didn't think I'd like it nearly as much as i did :)

message 14: by Lisa (new)

Lisa  Reads I agree with Ms. Reads that the series got better with each book and Winter is my favorite. Winter's stepmother, the Lunar Queen Levanna gets my vote as the ultimate evil stepmom!

Miranda Reads Lisa wrote: "I agree with Ms. Reads that the series got better with each book and Winter is my favorite. Winter's stepmother, the Lunar Queen Levanna gets my vote as the ultimate evil stepmom!"

Haha, love that you are calling me Ms. Reads. Have you read the spinoff book from Queen Levanna's perspective? Very good villain book!

message 16: by Stajia (new)

Stajia I really love this series too!!!!!