Cait • A Page with a View's Reviews > Ice Wolves

Ice Wolves by Amie Kaufman

bookshelves: 2018-arcs

Release date: March 27, 2018

This was such a fun read! I'll admit I mainly picked it up because:

1. I love winter (look at that gorgeous cover)
2. yay wolves
3. DRAGONS?! yes.
4. POC kids on the cover
5. Amie Kaufman. Enough said.

So I didn't know a ton about the plot and thought the whole thing was SUCH a fun surprise.

The basic story is that Anders and Rayna are twins who live on the street and depend on each other. One day they find themselves in a crowd where kids are being tested to see if they have the wolf blood necessary to enter Ulfar Academy and train to join the Wolf Guard. (The ice wolves and scorch dragons have been bitter enemies for ages and the conflict is now escalating to war). When the twins are tested by accident, Anders transforms into an ice wolf and his twin sister turns out to be a scorch dragon. Rayna has to flee, while Anders is taken to the academy to learn how to kill dragons. He's faced with a lot of difficult questions since he feels pulled to be loyal to his new pack. Eventually Anders and his new friends discover that the "enemy" side might not be everything they've been told and they must work to unlearn internalized prejudice. A lot of adventures ensue, but the twins are basically fighting to create a home for themselves.

This is a middle grade story, but I think any age will find it entertaining. The writing was strong, the characters were well developed, the pacing kept me invested in the story, and the fantasy world was wonderful!

Thank you to the publisher for sending me an ARC.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ice Wolves.

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Amanda (new) - added it

Amanda Kratz You say middle grade reading - is it more fable haven or more Harry Potter type of reading?

message 2: by Lab (new) - added it